Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

2 Phones don't work

Hi, I'm a newby to this forum so bear with me please. I have just travelled to Poland overland through France, Belgium, Germany and into Poland.

During this journey I had two fully functioning phones, a Iphone 5s and Iphone 6s, both on Virgin mobile and roaming including 4G obviously two different phone numbers on same account.

On arrival across the Polish border I lost functionality on the 5s so phoned Virgin for advice using the 6s. Their assistant made some suggestions which I followed. She said it could take 24 hours to take effect.

24 hours have passed and no resolution. BUT !!! the other phone is now in the same condition as the 5s.

These handsets have both previously been used right across Europe without issue.

The only thing of note is that I recall that in the early stage of problem the 5s was using TMOBILE Poland and the 6s a different network. Now both phones are are on TMOBILE Poland and will accept no other network.

I CANNOT MAKE OUTGOING CALLS I CAN NOT GET DATA I CAN NOT CONTACT VIRGIN. Using a local phone their UK number bounces to the internet and 789 on the Iphones drops out, I AM IN LIMBO WITH NO MEANS OF CONTACTING VIRGIN. HENCE NO RESOLUTION

Has anyone got a solution that will solve this issue.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 Phones don't work

Have you tried doing a manual network search and selecting a network other than T-Mobile?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello insightfull person, did you read the end of para 6.

The phones claim no service on the 3 displayed alternatives.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good Afternoon len2020,

Sorry to see you've been having issues with the coverage in the European countries. 

Can you tell me what kind of SIM cards you're using - the older Red cards that are EE Hosted or the Purple VM controlled? I'd also need to know if roaming was switch on, on the self-care account prior to you leaving the UK? 

Are you also able to try removing the SIMs from the handsets whilst rebooting the device? This will clear the cache on the device and may allow you to access the services.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello David, I think the sims are red but there has been a development overnight.

This morning I found that the 6s had switched provider to PLUS, another local  network, and now has full functionality.

I had to force the 5s using manual network select and it is now functional.

Yesterday neither phone would accept any other network than T-mobile Polska.

Previously these phones with their Virgin Mobile sims have worked seamlessly right across Europe, until 3 days ago when they crossed the Polish border from Germany via France and Belgium.

The situation made worse by Virgin being totally uncontactable, I had to buy portable WiFi to get any means of contact.

Thanks again for your response, it looks as if somebody in the engine room forget to throw a switch.

Regards. Len2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update and good to hear these are now working.

When using services abroad you'll be using the countries masts which would always prioritise local networks over people travelling from abroad using their masts, this may have been why you didn't initially get onto the masts in question.

Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Emily, Arrived back in UK on Sunday evening. The Iphone 5s having worked perfectly right across Europe, including through the channel tunnel on a French network.

On arrival in the UK it will not switch back to Virgin Network. The phone displays 'no service'. I have tried manual selection of carrier but get the same result. The 6s is working ok.

I tried to contact customer service on 789 but the call dropped after 15 minutes waiting. So here we are again with a problem.

Over the years I have been with Virgin I have always had seamless telephone service right across Europe and only this year have seen issues.

Perhaps something has changed in your system.

Maybe a permanent change of service will solve the problem.

Since I cannot contact anybody at Virgin, by telephone, can you help to solve this issue?

Regards. Leonard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi len2020

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry you're currently unable to use 2 of your handsets.  Please can i ask the last time you updated your SIMS for both the numbers in question?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Lee, at the moment its only one phone not working.

The sims were updated years ago, action originated by Virgin not I. I cannot remember when it was, but surely this info would be on record.

If you follow this short thread from the start you will see the problems I've had during the past two weeks, not made easier because the real person help line is not available.

I have had to make an early return from Europe due to a death in the family and need these phones to operate properly.

Regards Leonard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Okay Leonard, I think we need to take a closer look.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee

0 Kudos