cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 Migration Confusion - A few queries

Chris___
Joining in

Hi Hoping you will be able to answer my queries regarding the O2 migration.

1) I have a family account with multiple sims.  The first sim arrived today.  How do I know which family member to give it to as there is no associated telephone number included?

2) How will the account be administered in future?  It's not at all clear to me if we as customer are becoming O2 customers - or are we still Virgin customers?  i.e. Is the Virgin logon defunct and we need an O2 logon?  If we need an O2 logon is it one per SIM or is it still a family account?

3) The instructions on the new sim start with "#1 Check your Virgin mobile has stopped working."  That sounds a bit ominous - when can we expect them to stop working?

4) Also on the packet there's a website o2.co.uk/vm-to-o2.  Which appears to have some useful data.   Bit bizarre that Virgin haven't sent some of this info!  The first item includes an item to say that "We'll write to you 30 days ahead of your move to let you know when it'll happen."   Since O2 haven't written yet can we assume that we wont be swapping until July?   Getting the sim cards a month in advance seems at odds with later information that implies new sim cards are only needed if the attempted swapover fails?

5) I received an incomprehensible email from O2 including :

Item(s) ordered: POS:O2 5G Postpay SIM: compatible with 5G Devices ONLY; O2 5G Postpay SIM: compatible with 5G Devices ONLY £0.00

What does this mean?  We don't have any 5G devices - is this an issue?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

4 REPLIES 4

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chris, 

Thanks for using the Community Forums to get more information on the O2 migration, I am sorry if this has been causing some confusion 😥 I would be more than happy to answer as much as I can! However, some information you've asked may be better answered by O2 themselves, they have their own Community Forum if you want to post on there too.

I'll answer your questions as best I can using the same number format 😊

1. A family account with multiple numbers attached may be moved over to O2 at different times, we're sorry the SIM didn't come with a number quoted. You can insert it into your handset and once it's activated, you can go into your handset's settings and find out what number is attached to the SIM. If you recognise the number and know who it belongs to, you can then pop it into the correct phone.
  2. The migration will mean you will be an O2 customer, not under Virgin Mobile anymore. So if you have any queries or issues after the migration has completed, you will need to contact O2's customer services and they'll be happy to help. Your family's numbers should all still be within one family account after the move, however please contact O2 if you have any further queries about this aspect.
  3. You should receive texts on or near the day that each number will be migrated, so keep an eye out for these!
  4. I can check on my side to see when a "soft lock" has been added on each number. The lock is added 30 days before a migration is initiated which will give us an idea of when the migration will happen for each number - But unfortunately I won't be able to see any specific dates as to when it will happen. O2 may be able to shed some further light on this though, so please do reach out to them.
  5. This email sounds like a confirmation of the O2 SIM that was posted out to you. However, again, please reach out to O2 if you have any further questions about this. 

I hope this helps shed some light on this situation for you!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Chris___
Joining in

Hi Megan, thanks for the response.  I'm not sure how practical #1 answer really is as I can't keeping checking just on the off chance the sim has come live.  Item 2 is useful to know - that really hasn't be made clear by Virgin.  The only letter we got refers entirely to direct debits.

Item 3 is disappointing.  I'd rather we had 30 days notice then it happening out of the blue like that.

ok I'll sit back and await the family fireworks when they tell me if anything has happened!

regards

Chris.

Chris___
Joining in

Update - one of the packages has swapped over.  Apparently my daughter had a text message saying it was happening - not much notice and then lost the services.  I then popped the O2 sim into my own phone and found it was live.  I sent it over to her on Wednesday so at least she was only offline for a day.

So that leaves the question of account management.  I have a couple of emails with links to 'myO2' account management.  But there is no way to log in because it demands username and password or alternatively an account number that i don't have!

I assume that's O2 responsibility of course!  What a shambles ....

Chris.

Thanks for the update @Chris___ 

Let us know if you require assistance with anything else.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs