Menu
Joi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

tv channel closing end of month

Went to catch up on my show on Fox channel and there is a notice to say catch up on all your shows the Fox channel will be closing in the UK  on June 30th.

This is not the first time channels has been closed and all u seem to get is d same channels with repeats . Virgin keep putting d price up or changing d package which i more expensive with little value for money, at d rate its going i will just watch normal free view. 

0 Kudos
chaoshusky
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: tv channel closing end of month

Considering all the issues i've had with Virgin, i'm going to slightly defend them here and say that's not their fault! They are also closing the service on Sky. Disney, greedy as they are, want us all to start using Disney+ which is generally a similar cost to Amazon Prime and Netflix. At this rate, TiVo won't be competitive at all and isn't nice to use - but you can pause and then fast forward ads whilst you go make a drink! 🙂 If you have a spare £7.99 a month, you would then get access to everything Fox and Disney, including your favourite shows, Family Guy, American Dad, cartoons, movies etc..

Typical Disney evil really.. Mickey Mouse is laughing again!

Kind regards,

Lee

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

There's not much Virgin Media can do when any particular channel ceases to exist and closes on all UK platforms.

Legally, VM's T&Cs cover this and allow for channels to change without your subscription price changing - and people rarely complain when new channels are added.

As a high-level view, Disney (who own Fox, and National Geographic) have a strategy of moving their content to the Disney+ platform. I'm not keen either, but that complaint needs directing at Disney (which, I suggest, they will ignore) not Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Its the same issue we have had for some time.

More and more of the broadcasters see streaming apps & the like as a means of cutting out the middleman & selling services direct to customers.

It is likely the Nat Geo channels will be next in line, as Disney will monitor the number of people signing up every time they make a change to see if shifting more content is viable.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The Disney+ app is available on Sky Q but not BT TV or VM, and I wonder how much Sky is paying for this. As VM is a solely a content aggregator and so has no orginal content - unlike Sky and BT - I think that VM has to try harder.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exec: ‘VMO2 becoming SVoD aggregator

It's possible that VM are already negotiating for more apps, as suggested by this article 

David Bouchier, Chief TV & Entertainment Officer at UK multiplay operator Virgin Media O2, has suggested the service is still working with the same content providers, but whereas previously it was an aggregator of pay-TV channels, it was becoming an aggregator of SVoD apps

“As each SVoD player has started to see mature markets, their growth curve declines,” he noted. “They have to find other ways to find subscribers. We have two or three very key relationships. We have a very established billing relationship with our customer; we have a very well established relationship with the main screen, which is where the main increase in SVoD viewing is happening. That’s where they want to be, and in the case of Virgin Media, we have the fastest broadband connection in the UK,” he asserted.

“As fast broadband comes in, you are going to see an increase in capacity for households to have multiple high—speed connections to SVoD services in ultra-high definition as well as HD. We see this as a natural shift  from the old ‘walled garden’ approach, where you didn’t need to be aggregated, to a much more traditional relationship with content, which is to be fully embedded in our TV offer, where bundling is now being talked about. Sky in the UK, as a default for its pay service, now comes with Netflix bundled,” he observed.

“As Disney Plus, which had a stellar, fantastic performance during lockdown, will now be quite challenged to see that growth continue. We expect to see those big services requiring to be closer, embedded into our billing and our subscriber relationships ,” he suggested.

“If you look at who makes the content, the players are the same that they’ve always been. The international players are still those same studios. There have been a few new additions, but ultimately, they were the ones that provided the pay channels, and now they are providing the pay apps. I’m quite confident that the aggregator relationship – which is after all, we were an aggregator of linear channels, we are now going to be an aggregator of digital app services – those relationships will continue in the same way,” he concluded.

They may already be preparing the way with their recent entertainment services trial for broadband only customers (applications have now closed) which was for broadband and streaming apps      Announcements/Try-our-new-entertainment-service-Summer-2021 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
0 Kudos
Joi
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I agree everything seems to b moving to Disney plus and no discount to package. Although  u may get free channels it's a lot of repeat shows am not interested in so am at a loss. I don't blame virgin but losing channels should bring down d cost of d package. They always have justification for raising d prices. Just my opinion.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In my experience VM has on multiple occasions increased broadband speeds or added TV channels without a price rise, so it's a mixture of gains and losses.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection