Menu
douganderson78
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

tivo box freezing

hi,

My TiVo box keeps freezing, and needs to be switched off and back on every time it happens. It seems to be random, and can be onlive tv, recorded content or just in the guide.

Can Virgin run any tests on my kit?

thanks

Doug

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: tivo box freezing

Morning @douganderson78

Welcome to the forums and thanks so much for your first post - sorry to understand that you're having some issues with your TiVo at the moment. 

When you advise it's freezing, is it just the picture that freezes or are you also not able to navigate through the menus? 

Are you leaving the box switched on over night or when you leave home? It should be left on where possible to ensure it can accept any updates we send to it. 

Have you tried new batteries in your remote at all? 

I have done a few quick diagnostics on your box from here and not able to see anything out of the ordinary - all is within the specifications we would expect. However, it is currently in standby so we're limited with what else we can do currently. 

Please do pop back when you can with some more information and we'll go from there 🙂 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
douganderson78
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for checking first of all.

When it freezes then the whole thing locks up, we cant navigate anywhere.

The box is always on. The remote definitely works, as when it hangs we can still see the receiver light blinking on the front of the box when a button is pressed on the remote. When it locks up then we just need to keep pressing buttons on the remote and the box will eventually reboot. All of the lights come on first of all and then it restarts. I do notice that reboots seem to be taking longer and longer also.

Thanks 🙂

Doug

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @douganderson78

Have you tried new batteries in the remote for us please? This can be a symptom of the batteries dying even if you see the lights flashing. 

Are you manually rebooting the box or is it doing it after pressing all the buttons on the remote control? 

Cheers 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
douganderson78
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Once the box has hung then I just need to press maybe 15 to 20 buttons on the remote and the box will eventually reboot. A few times I had the power cycle the box as it was completely hung up.

I'm sure the remote is fine.

Do you get error logs sent back to you, or can you remotely access them?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming that @douganderson78

We would appreciate it if you can try the batteries in the remote when you can to see if it does help. 

As mentioned, we have done some remote checks from here and we're not seeing any errors at all and the box is with the parameters we would expect. However, the box is still showing in standby so we're restricted about what further checks we can perform for you. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
douganderson78
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

The box is on now, if you can have as look?

Thanks

Doug

0 Kudos
douganderson78
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The tivo box just rebooted again, during a live programme and without me having done anything at all.

Can you please advise what can be done to restore my service?

Many thanks

Doug Anderson

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi douganderson78. 

Performed another health check, and once again everything is within spec.

The box is currently on Standby so we're unable to run through further diagnostics, if you can please pop back and let us know when this is turned on we can take a further look.

In the meantime can you also confirm if you've checked all the wires/ connectors are secures tightly?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
douganderson78
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's on now. All connections are secure.

Thanks

Doug

0 Kudos