Menu
RichardA1946
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

iPlayer on Tivo unbearably slow

Hi,

I have a TiVo set top box and using the iPlayer service through it is unbearably slow.  I think it's always been slow, but it's getting to a point that if I want to watch something on iPlayer I'll start iPlayer and go make a cup of tea so it has a chance to load.  Browsing around for programmes is also painfully slow.  The TiVo box is maybe 5 years old now and I feel the issue, which has always been there, is getting worse.  I watch quite a bit on iPlayer so it's really blighting the service.

Is there anything I can do to make iPlayer work as it should on the TiVo? 

Thanks in advance, Rich

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: iPlayer on Tivo unbearably slow

There is nothing you can do to make iplayer fast on a Tivo box, the box is just not powerful enough.
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichardA1946,

Have you thought about regrading your package?

You may be able to save money and get a box swap to one of the newer V6 boxes.

You can call  150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 4 (Changes to your package) but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of regrade  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

EDIT - You need VM broadband to run the V6 box

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The TiVo is a recording box, so was always best when it was recording programmes for viewing from your hard drive.

Having said that, it is old technology and if you've had it for a while, you may well want to consider a swapout to the newer V6 box. It has 6 recording tuners compared with 3, and is much better at using apps in general.

You need to have VM broadband in order to have a V6, but if you've had your current package for a while and am willing to re-contract for 12/18months, then you may want to consider renegotiating your current deal and try to swap your TiVo for a V6 into the bargain.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
RichardA1946
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,  

Thanks for your reply.  I did phone and arrange a repackage the day before yesterday and subscribed for a further 18 months (including broadband).  But since then I've been kicking myself for not covering the persistent iplayer issue during the call.  Is a v6 likely to help run iPlayer at acceptable speeds?  If so are you able to arrange a swap out.  Or failing that what options could you suggest.

Kind regards, Jan

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Jan,

I don't work for VM, I'm just a member of the community, the same as  your good self.

Yes the V6 is a far better box, and it has more apps that your current TIVO.  It should be able to run the IPlayer and other apps without any issues, especially if you connect the box to the router with an ethernet cable.

As far as I know you have a 14 day period to change your mind when regrading.

It may be worthwhile calling up and speaking to the cancellations team (thinking of leaving us option)  They have a little more "clout" than the normal regrades team and are probably more willing/able to arrange a box swap.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't like posting with a "me too", but in this case it seems worthwhile.

The V6 is absolutely streets ahead of the TiVo for performance. From pressing "play now" in the V6 menu for an iPlayer programme, it will generally begin stable playback in around 10 seconds. But with 6 recording tuners, the need for using CatchUp is also vastly reduced.

You have 14days "cooling off" on any package change, for any reason. It's ultimately your choice and has to be your decision, but I'd strongly recommend it. Just remember the V6 doesn't have an inbuilt cablemodem, so relies on a connection to your homehub for the internet (which includes OnDemand). It can use WiFi, but a physical Ethernet connection is massively recommended if at all possible.

As newapollo has mentioned, this forum is primarily a user-based community with VM staff wading in on particular posts that may need attention, a few days later. But package regrades can only be done by phone.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

RichardA1946
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok Dave,  that sounds like very sound advice.  I'll contact VM support tomorrow to discuss options for a v6.

Thanks Dave, jcpitts and jb66 for your responses.

Kind regards, Rich

0 Kudos