cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can we turn pin off PERMANENTLY? it is an absolute pain

twinflameskiss
On our wavelength

How can we turn the pin off PERMANENTLY?

We are a couple in out 50s and do not have children and DO NOT need a pin, at all, EVER, and should NOT have one enforced on us.

We have turned off the pin setting, but are still asked for one all the time. We dont watch porm program with violence ior drug programs, etc.,  yet it still is imposed on programs we cant even work out why. Why does Ancient Aliens need a pin? 

It is an absolute PAIN, every time we switch channels in a pin program we have to put it in all over again when we switch back. (And changing it to 1111 is not a solution).

When we were with BT (and other services) we didnt have to, so Virgin COULD make it optional. There are complaints on here going back to 2011 from adults without children, and with disabilities using the controls, asking for it to be removed permanently, yet Virgin have just IGNORED them.

WE are the customer, WE are paying for the service, WE should have the choice of imposing any parental controls only if they are needed, not Virgin.

So Virgin, when are you going to give the people paying the option to turn it off PERMANENTLY?

121 REPLIES 121

All I did was follow this route:

HOME > Help & Settings > Parental Controls [Enter PIN] >Request a PIN
and then ticked: Do not request a PIN.

Cisco or Samsung, old or new, I'm sure it's all the same!

Yes, I already said I did all that. Turning the PIN off in the settings still does not stop it coming up regularly on ordinary channels or programs.

OK. Something is obviously wrong somewhere.
Let me know which programmes/channels are affected and I will try to replicate it.
All I can say is I'm never asked for a PIN.
Maybe there's a fault with your Tivo and your settings are not being remembered.

EDIT: just had an idea.  Have you changed your PIN from default 1234?  You could try that and then go through the menu again....Smiley Surprised

Yep, I always change password asap. And I have been through turning the PIN lock off a couple of times.

Fair enough, you obviously know what you're doing.

I just recorded Messiah tonight [on Drama] and started to watch with no PIN required. I can watch these sorts of prog at any time. Still no PIN
If you need a PIN for that or similar progs I suggest you phone it in as a fault. Or is it possibly a channel I never watch? [I think Fox is a known problem, for instance].

Shouldn't be happening.  Smiley Frustrated

One program I know off the top of my head is Ancient Aliens on H2. Always asks for a PIN.

I actually went into a Virgin Media shop in town a few of days to ask how I could get it turned off and the guy in the shop said you can't. He said he lives with his girlfriend and no kids and it drives them nuts too, and he works for Virgin and job is to sign people up. Not a good advertisement.

Try Film4 now - or ITV4 - both adult films. [Jackie Brown is particularly good!] Do you need a PIN?
If not then its channel specific.

If you do then your Tivo is not behaving!  Smiley Frustrated

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@twinflameskiss wrote:

One program I know off the top of my head is Ancient Aliens on H2. Always asks for a PIN.

Ah right, think I know what it may be. You'll probably find that the programme is an older recording from H2. A new recording from H2 won't prompt for a PIN

It's something Virgin Media are aware of and are looking to fix as the same as happened with FOX a while back http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Recordings-on-Fox-asking-for-PIN/m-p/2754086#M111455

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Really?  I've got a load of programs taped, I'll check through them tongiht and see. Thanks for that.

So does that mean the PIN locking is specifically tied to the actual program itself, i.e. once programs are pin locked they will stay that way forever?

I find it astounding there isnt simply just a global off/on switch that can turn if off completely.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@twinflameskiss wrote:

Really?  I've got a load of programs taped, I'll check through them tongiht and see. Thanks for that.

So does that mean the PIN locking is specifically tied to the actual program itself, i.e. once programs are pin locked they will stay that way forever?

I find it astounding there isnt simply just a global off/on switch that can turn if off completely.

You may find that those that'll ask for a PIN may be missing the channel logo as noted by GarethF when it happened to FOX http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Recordings-on-Fox-asking-for-PIN/m-p/2722736#M110570

Apart from Sky Movies (for which PIN protection is OFCOM regulated), the PIN setting in Parental Controls should apply to all channel recordings.

PIN locking of recordings under other circumstances when it's not enabled is a bug that shouldn't happen, and it's been logged as such. Unfortunately the bug has not yet been fixed.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own