Menu
bern
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

channels now HD only taking up too much TIVO box

I wonder if there is any way to obtain a SD version of channels such as BBC4 that are now HD only (there are still SD versions of BBC1 and BBC2 )- or is there a way to record an SD version from an HD channel (in the way iplayer gives you a choice of HD or low memory SD)

I've now found this link

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/VM-removes-SD-versions-of-BBC-channels/td-p/3938287/p...

so this is a known problem - as I record a lot from BBC4 it now seems that the lack of an SD BBC4 means that I can record only a third to a half of the number of programs I could before - this is a major disadvantage - has Virgin made an official statement no the drawbacks on this development ?

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: channels now HD only taking up too much TIVO box

Alongside the HD-only changes, Virgin are also changing the encoding used on all broadcast channels meaning a reduction in the size of recordings on both SD & HD channels.

Are you finding your box getting beyond, say, 90% full? That's the point where I'd be a little uncomfortable.

0 Kudos
bern
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: channels now HD only taking up too much TIVO box

thanks japitts, thats really helpful info especially if HD recording sizes approach current SD sizes .. 90% ? hmmm I'll be honest its rare that my TIVO box is below 100% !!
0 Kudos