cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buffering with bbc iplayer, netflix

carld22
Joining in

I have a Samsung virgin media box (the large flat thing) connected directly (wired in) to Virgin media cable. The tv sits on top of the Samsung box and is directly wired to it.

(Incidentally, my line speed to the router that I use for broadband is around 100MB.)

Whenever I try to watch programs on iplayer and netflix I suffer constant buffering. Is there anything that can be done about this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you've got a TiVo? Check here 

OnDemand & Streaming services on the TiVo (NOT the V6) have two issues:

1: The box is quite old and runs old hardware, it can struggle with the streaming apps (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube) especially and this is one (of a few) reason why the additional apps are only available on the V6. There isn't any way of sugar-coating this, I'm afraid.

2: All OnDemand & streaming apps rely on an internet connection, the TiVo's is in-built (separate from your home broadband) but this often fails without users realising. On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart symbol next to it and is your "online" light. A static light is good, but a flashing heartbeat lights means the TiVo's internet connection has failed. Anything relying on the internet will fail when this happens.

Scenario 2 is a fault, and you should report it to Virgin Media on the usual number (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone). It may be an external network fault, but is often a box failure & replacement.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're right - the link you've followed is out-of-date, there's not currently any online or proactive swap programme.

@carld22 wrote:

It's a bit disturbing as it seems the benefit of V6 maybe marginal as significant problems have been reported in its use. The upshot is that I wish to make use the V6 box only if is free, its installation and use is free, and it does not in anyway affect my existing contract. It will be unfortunate if it is actually delivered and a charge is made - it will be sent straight back.

Absolutely not - you're probably getting confused with the new V360 platform which is in its infancy and has some development to go through before it matches the TiVo/V6 functionality. I'm sure it will - in time.

The V6 runs fundamentally identical software to the TiVo, just on much newer hardware and without the inbuilt internet connection. A change from TiVO > V6 is an upgrade on many levels.

You could try to get a V6 as part of a contract renegotiation/re-grade, that will involve re-contracting for 18months.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds like you've got a TiVo? Check here 

OnDemand & Streaming services on the TiVo (NOT the V6) have two issues:

1: The box is quite old and runs old hardware, it can struggle with the streaming apps (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube) especially and this is one (of a few) reason why the additional apps are only available on the V6. There isn't any way of sugar-coating this, I'm afraid.

2: All OnDemand & streaming apps rely on an internet connection, the TiVo's is in-built (separate from your home broadband) but this often fails without users realising. On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart symbol next to it and is your "online" light. A static light is good, but a flashing heartbeat lights means the TiVo's internet connection has failed. Anything relying on the internet will fail when this happens.

Scenario 2 is a fault, and you should report it to Virgin Media on the usual number (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone). It may be an external network fault, but is often a box failure & replacement.

Hi Japitts,

Thanks for the very useful reply. It is along the lines I was thinking so I've followed a link 

https://www.virginmedia.com/offers/V6swap

to get to a page on Virgin's website on which there is a form to request an upgrade to a V6 box. The form states that the upgrade is free and it has allowed me to book a delivery date of Feb 4th (yes tomorrow!).

BUT on the page it is stated that this offer of a free upgrade expires in June 2020. (I fear this page may be out of date and needs to be removed.)

It also informs that a confirmatory message will be sent, but I have yet to receive it. I am not altogether surprised - for after reading lots on this community site there seems to be much confusion about this free upgrade and under what terms it is available (and when!)

It's a bit disturbing as it seems the benefit of V6 maybe marginal as significant problems have been reported in its use. The upshot is that I wish to make use the V6 box only if is free, its installation and use is free, and it does not in anyway affect my existing contract. It will be unfortunate if it is actually delivered and a charge is made - it will be sent straight back.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You're right - the link you've followed is out-of-date, there's not currently any online or proactive swap programme.

@carld22 wrote:

Absolutely not - you're probably getting confused with the new V360 platform which is in its infancy and has some development to go through before it matches the TiVo/V6 functionality. I'm sure it will - in time.

The V6 runs fundamentally identical software to the TiVo, just on much newer hardware and without the inbuilt internet connection. A change from TiVO > V6 is an upgrade on many levels.

You could try to get a V6 as part of a contract renegotiation/re-grade, that will involve re-contracting for 18months.