Menu
Jorick
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

buffering on the TiVo Box

Writing as a total technophobe. Read about buffering problems have them on 2 tivo boxes when trying to use netflix or various catch up services. Apparently due to internet? dont have virgin internet have bt how can this be rectifyed will it be better if i swap to virgin broadband?

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: buffering on the TiVo Box

OnDemand & Streaming services on the TiVo (NOT the V6) have two issues:

1: The box is quite old and runs old hardware, it can struggle with the streaming apps (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube) especially and this is one (of a few) reason why the additional apps are only available on the V6. There isn't any way of sugar-coating this, I'm afraid.

2: All OnDemand & streaming apps rely on an internet connection, the TiVo's is in-built (separate from your home broadband) but this often fails without users realising. On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart symbol next to it and is your "online" light. A static light is good, but a flashing heartbeat lights means the TiVo's internet connection has failed. Anything relying on the internet will fail when this happens.

Scenario 2 is a fault, and you should report it to Virgin Media on the usual number (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone). It may be an external network fault, but is often a box failure & replacement.

A V6 box is VM's latest version of the TiVo, and is much quicker and a better box in every department. New customers are being given VM's very latest TV platform, which is not TiVo based but the new "V360". In either case, TiVo is Virgin's only TV product that you can have without VM broadband.

Whether you'd get a V6 or be given V360 is immaterial, to the fact you would need to have Virgin broadband in any case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos