Menu
NileB
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

YouTube not loading

I'm using the original Tivo box and have been happily accessing the YouTube service for some months now. I last used the service on 2nd Nov 2019, next time I tried on the 7th Nov 2019 it got as far as displaying the YouTube banner and just hangs there and never moves on to the actual content. I've obviously tried this several times over the past days as well as rebooting the box but nothing seems to work.

I contacted VM support and the solution quoted was to migrate to a new Tivo box. That isn't an acceptable solution to me right now as I have a shed load of recorded TV to get through which would not be migrated to a new box and let's face it a new box might not resolve the issue anyway.

Surely there must be a simple fix for this? Any help or suggestions on this would be gratefully received.

Thanks

NileB

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: YouTube not loading

Thank you for your post NileB and welcome to our community.

Can I please confirm if this is one of our VHD boxes or is this either our Tivo 500 box or our V6 box? 

Our VHD and other legacy boxes are requiring upgrades at the moment or some services will stop being available.

If this is one of our more recent Tivo boxes could you please follow the below steps and let us know if this rectifies the issue: 

Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
NileB
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emily.

I had always assumed it was a Tivo box, I've had it for years so it certainly isn't the V6. I assume that the very fact it isn't a more recent model I'm not able to follow the steps you have noted?

The box no. is if it helps: 1045501738. It doesn't say Tivo anywhere in fact it's got Cisco written on it and it's all black. 

How can I confirm that this is indeed a Tivo 500?

NileB

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you're unsure would you be able to post a photo of this to us and we can then let you know which this is? 

If you could try to go through the steps I gave previously this should be possible if it's a Tivo box as well.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
NileB
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emily.

Please see below picture of the box we have, looks like it is a Tivo 500 after all. I will try the steps you suggested later on tonight. 

Virgin-Tivo-Box-550x320.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the picture, yes that is our Tivo 500 box so if you can please try the steps above and let us know if this fixes your YouTube application.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
NileB
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

I have tried what you suggested, all to no avail unfortunately.

What options do I now have other than upgrade to a V6 box and lose all my unwatched recorded TV?

Isn't there some way of uninstalling and reinstalling the Youtube app?

I have to say over the last couple of weeks when I could still view content with Youtube (on the TV) it was behaving oddly i.e it would throw me out of the service always after around 30 minutes viewing, some times doing this a couple of times. 

Thanks

Neil   

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The steps followed previously would have refreshed the application for you Neil, sadly this hasn't worked on this occasion but we'll go through some other tests as you say you wouldn't like to lose your recordings.

Would you be able to try turn your Tivo box off before you unplug and reinsert in the wires at the back of the Tivo box in question?

Would we also be able to confirm if you're having trouble with any other applications which require the broadband to work? Can we also confirm if your Tivo box has a wired connection to the Hub?

Let us know so we can advise further if needed.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
NileB
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily,

I have rebooted the box but not tried removing and reinserting wires and maybe the card that is inserted in the back. I will give that a whizz though, i'll try anything to get it fixed.

Youtube us is the only app that doesn't work. I very recently tried out vevo for the first time and that works fine, I think there maybe another app that I've tried and works ok.

Strange that you mention broadband having to be on, that was never the case with Youtube on TV it worked (when it did work) regardless of whether the router was on or off. It was clearly able to function using the TV part of the cable and didn't require broadband.

Thanks   

NB

0 Kudos
NileB
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh I missed your last question, in response to that:

The box has three cables: 1. power, 2 lead to TV, 3 coaxial cable for the VM cable feed. THat's it.

0 Kudos