Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrong Tivo box switched off?

I'm contacting you on behalf of my 89 year old mother. She had two Tivo boxes, one in the living room and another in the bedroom. She contacted VirginMedia to cancel the one in the bedroom as it was hardly ever used (she also cancelled SkySports at the same time). Now the TV in the living room doesn't work, giving the error code 7400, which I see means that the box is not activated.

The living room TV used to work fine, but I suspect that the wrong box has been deactivated. My mother has tried to contact VirginMedia by phone but they say they cannot do anything and will send her a replacement box. It seems to me that if they can deactivate the box remotely they should be able to reactivate it. The problem is that my mother is self-isolating and does not want other people in the house but I don't think that she could disconnect the existing box and connect a new one herself.

I would be very grateful if a Virgin engineer or support person could help solve this problem remotely as otherwise my mother will have to self-isolate without a working TV in her living room.

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Tivo box switched off?

Of course, they should be able to re-activate it remotely unless it’s already been removed from the account.

You could swap the two boxes over if you have access to the home at this time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's what I thought but the telephone support person at Virgin did not seem to be able to do it. Unfortunately my mother is not very technical and I don't think she is up to swapping boxes over. I asked her to test whether the bedroom one was still working, but she has not used it for a long time and cannot remember how to switch it on!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, if the bedroom box has been powered off for some time, it will also have been de-activated and won’t work either.

I can only suggest another call to Virgin Media, carefully explaining the situation.

There is a text number service currently, 07533 051809, which may be worth trying but all customer service agents are very busy currently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

She was still paying for the bedroom box despite not using it, which is why she wanted to cancel it. Would it still appear on her bill if deactivated??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, de-activated from the network but still active and paid for on the account.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your helpful comments on this
0 Kudos