cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimbledon Coverage Via The Red Button - Buffering Issue Afternoon Onwards

IanS
On our wavelength

Hi

When the BBC have got their side working this is pretty much okay for the first couple of hours - 11.00 to 13.00 - but into the afternoon and beyond it becomes unwatchable with increased buffering. 

What is causing this issue, and can it be corrected? Surely if it fine at the start it should be okay throughout the day?

Regards 

Ian

20 REPLIES 20

ozsat
Superstar

If you are using the old style TiVo box - I don't hold out much hope of getting a decent iPlayer connection.

It is not the speed of your Internet - the box just can't handle the Internet speed required to get a decent good video quality stream.

Best to upgrade asap.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To add, there've been a few similar queries recently about the iPlayer app on the legacy TiVo.. my answer is the same..

The TiVo has never been great for apps or streaming, your experience comes as no surprise. The TiVo has its own inbuilt internet connection and doesn't have WiFi, this is purely down to the TiVo being a very old box with old hardware - it was first launched in 2010, so is 13+ years old now. Live TV doesn't use the internet, so problems there will be a signal or box fault.

There's no proactive replacement programme for TiVo > V6, but when you're out of contract and negotiating a new package for 18month chunks, that's always a good time. You could take a couple of approaches here

1: If your TiVo has a service fault, it's now replaced with a V6 as a matter of course.

2: You could contact VM and request a box-swap, be fully prepared for a sales pitch on the TV360 system which is substantially different and is not TiVo. Think of Apple vs Android and you're on the right lines.

3: Whenever you are next out of contract, make sure you include a TiVo > V6 upgrade in the negotiations. Again, be prepared for a sales pitch on an "upgrade" to a TV360.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

The maximum download speed of the TiVo is, I think, only 10Mbps. You are better off watching the extra channel with BBC iPlayer, available on several TVs and streaming devices such as Roku and Fire TV Stick.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Confirm the legacy TiVo modems were certainly rated at 10Mb/s when they were first launched. I've a feeling they also remained on DOCSIS1 when all other modems were migrated to DOCSIS3.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I think - but have no good source - that the modem supports DOCSIS 2 (which is backward compatible with DOCSIS 1 which VM used to use). You would have thought that as the V6 has been deployed since January 2017 that VM would have tried a bit harder to get rid of the TiVos, and a few more campaigns for a free upgrade to the V6 (like the one in January 2018) would have helped.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @IanS, thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the red button coverage.
Have you checked your broadband connection as the coverage streams through the internet.

Please try a reboot on your hub, let us know how it goes on after and we can go on from there. 😇

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

IanS
On our wavelength

Firstly, thanks for all the comments above. I haven't upgraded the box because I am something of an old dinosaur and have an old recorder/dvd player connected, and I am not sure a new box would enable this connection to continue. 

Unfortunately, this is now a little after the horse has bolted because the red button is only really important in the first week of Wimbledon.

Rebooting doesn't make any difference. The point I tried to make in my original post was that the coverage through the red button/iplayer was fine for about the first two hours and then deteriorated to unwatchable. Why does it go from watchable to unwatchable? 

Regards

Ian

Thanks for the reply @IanS on the forums.

Have you tried rebooting your broadband router?
Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo has an inbuilt modem and doesn't use the home broadband. Rebooting the router will have precisely zero effect on this.

If the "heartbeat" light on the front-left of the TiVo is flashing, then the onboard modem has failed which is a box fault. Reporting that will get you a swapout to a V6 as a matter of course.