Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi drops and cannot watch catch up tv

Hi guys, 

I've got issues yet again with my virgin services. Firstly my WiFi signal keeps dropping out and takes forever to reconnect and when it eventually does it won't allow data usage for a while. On searching for my signal the hub name cannot be seen all the time, even standing next to it. I use WiFi extenders as the hub is so weak it stops me getting signals in my kitchen downstairs, 30 feet away, yet continously I cannot use data on my devices as the hub doesn't allow a continuous connection. 

Secondly I cannot watch catch up at all. It starts, then 40 seconds in, I get the standby circle and the picture freezes. This continues every 40-50 seconds so it's completly unwatchable.

I have checked all connections, rebooted the router/tv many times, checked all settings for TV and the router, via a PC and tried to call customer services and either no one answers, I get asked to hold and the line drops or I get told to reboot and call back if problem persists. 

I've experienced this for 4 months now and to be honest I'm getting fed up with all the problems virgin have yet they are happy to continually raise their prices!? 

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi drops and cannot watch catch up tv

@Yanky wrote:

[Snip]

Secondly I cannot watch catch up at all. It starts, then 40 seconds in, I get the standby circle and the picture freezes. This continues every 40-50 seconds so it's completly unwatchable.

Following Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, in the top-right, what is the WiFi signal strength reported as?

If it's particularly weak and you're using the 5Ghz band, you may see improvements from watching to 2.4Ghz that has better range.

Wired Ethernet is the recommended method of connecting your V6 to your home-hub whenever possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

My WiFi signal shows as marginal 34% on 5, when I switched it to 2.4 it went to good 64%.. I was told that 2.4 isn't worth using and attach everything to 5. When the installer checked my WiFi signal he said I had 90% on 5 and only 40% on 2.4.

I have 4 other items that are connected to ether et connections so none are free.

I'll give 2.4 a try and see how I get on so now onto my dropping issue all over the house. 

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Yanky wrote:

Hi, 

My WiFi signal shows as marginal 34% on 5, when I switched it to 2.4 it went to good 64%.. I was told that 2.4 isn't worth using and attach everything to 5. When the installer checked my WiFi signal he said I had 90% on 5 and only 40% on 2.4.

5Ghz is capable of much quicker speeds than the 2.4Ghz band (which helps with video streaming), but does come with range limitations. Meaning - if you can use 5Ghz you probably should, but if plenty of your immediate neighbours also have a lot of kit on the same band, then it's not a racing certainty of being better.

If the signal strength on 5Ghz is too poor, then you'll plainly be better off at least trying 2.4Ghz and experimenting with what works best.

All WiFi usage will be prone to how much other kit in your immediate area is using the same wireless bands, which is why Ethernet is recommended whenever possible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

It seems to be working OK, only cut out twice in an hour. 

Surley my WiFi cannot be affected by other people's WiFi usage, hence the reason for security so only I can access my service? Only things like distance within my house, what my walls are made of etc will determine my signal quality, not my neighbors usage. I do know I'm the only virgin user In my row of houses, most people have sky.

Thanks

Lee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Others can probably explain this better than I can, but WiFi (irrespective of which provider's label is on the router) uses a certain set of radio frequencies/channels, and the more routers & devices that are using those same channels, they will sooner or later begin to interfere with each other.

You're correct to allude to "security" in that if a given WiFi hotspot is password-protected then only users with the correct password will be able to connect to and transfer data over it - but it won't alter the fact that when multiple hotspots are using the same WiFi channels, they are potentially tripping over each other.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Yanky,

If too many neighbours are on the same wifi channel as yourself then that will affect the signal quality/strength.

You could download an app such as inssider to your mobile and use that to see which channels are least congested.

You could then go into your hub settings and select a different channel to see if this improves your connection.

To do that log into your hub by typing 192.168.0.1 in to the search bar of your web browser and enter your details as shown on the base of your hub.

.Advanced Settings > Wireless > Wireless Signal   

Scroll down to the bottom and tick Disable Channel Optimisation, then under 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz click on Manual and change the channel numbers in the drop down box, then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Apply Changes

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali