Menu
mrtaston
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why does my Tivo box keep turning itself on?

My Tivo box appears to be turning itself on overnight. It has been happening intermittently for a while, but just in the last couple of weeks it has started happening every night. Can anyone help fix this please? I really don't want to be paying an overinflated electricity bill!

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my Tivo box keep turning itself on?

the tivo does updates at nights int he early mornings
0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Normally this mean there is ongoing network maintenance, a signal is sent to restart the boxes when the maintenance is over, the difference in cost between a box in standby and one awake is pennies per annum 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Robert_P1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi
If you have any programmes scheduled to be recorded or if there are important updates sent to the box, this will come on complete the task and then go back to stand-by. If it stays on the check if the power saving mode is activated: press Home - Settings - Power Saving settings and make sure it's set to Low Power Mode.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Shugg
Up to speed
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This happens every time I go away for any length of time. Turn it to standby, go away for a week or so,  come home and it's not on standby. Doesn't this mean the hard drive is trundling away all the time? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Your hard drive will power-up for any planned recordings and for the regular 5-hourly EPG updates.

If there's any other software or system updates pushed out (normally overnight), those too.

If none of these apply, the HDD should wind down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos