Menu
pannsoln
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What do I do with my old TiVo set?

No one in my family watches TV at all, so last July or August, I cancelled my TV with Virgin Media. I was told that I'd be sent a package to return the TiVo to Virgin Media.

I didn't receive it. I called again in September, to be told the same thing.

And again in October, to be told the same thing, but this time with a tracking number — which, funnily enough, was never recognised by the delivery company.

Still October, I contacted Virgin Media via the Web Chat facility, to be informed that they'd get back to me. What a surprise — they didn't!

Again October, I phoned, to be told that they'd send me the package. When I asked for a tracking number, I was told that Virgin Media doesn't use tracking numbers. Hmm.

November, I tried the Web Chat again. Gee, what a surprise when they didn't get back to me. Who would have thought?

November, I sent a letter to Virgin Media asking what I should do, and if it would be all right for me to take the TiVo to the recycling centre. I received a response by letter saying that they would get back to me. Well, you'll never guess… That's the last that I heard from Virgin Media. I bet that you didn't guess that would happen, eh?

Let me count: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 attempts to resolve this. This thread will be my eighth attempt at finding a resolution.

Well, I don't want to take the TiVo to the recycling centre, because I'll bet that the following week, I'd be asked to either return it or to pay for it.

Do you have a suggestion as to how to get a response from Virgin Media that actually resolves this problem? Or am I expecting too much from this organisation 🙂 ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: What do I do with my old TiVo set?

Hi pannsoln,

This link shows you the items that need returning. Virgin-media-return-or-recycle-equipment 

That page shows that if you do have an old TIVO (and not the V6) then VM don't want it back.

There are two further links on that page. One of which is to request a returns pack, along with details to find your local Collect Plus store.

The other link on that page takes you to a page to find your local recycling point.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
pannsoln
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, Dave. I wish that they'd told me this in the first place!

My model number on the device is shown as CT 8620, and it looks different from the image on the link that you gave.

I presume, then, that mine is old, and so I need to take it to the recycling centre.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi again pannsoln,

Yes yours is the old TIVO as per this link /your-tv-box/index.html  and can be safely recycled 😄

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
pannsoln
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, Dave

0 Kudos
pannsoln
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unbelievable. Virgin Media contacted me this evening.

I must, according to them, keep the box until the day when I leave Virgin Media completely, at which point I can return the TiVo box along with any other equipment such as their router.

I protested at this. I don't want to keep the TiVo box potentially for years!

So, I have been promised yet another return package. What's the bet that it doesn't arrive, just like all the others?

Gah! Virgin Media's customer service has always been great, for me anyway, but this is just ridiculous!

0 Kudos