Menu
ninian
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Weak signal into Tivo box?

Have been contacted by a lady in my neighbourhood who has TivoBox and contract for TV and phone only (no broadband). The picture through the TivoBox keeps breaking up. She can use the TV for FreeView but obviously is paying for a TivoBox she cannot use for the extra channels and to record and playback.  Having failed to get any answer when waiting on engaged phones, she paid for a TV engineer to come and look.

An engineer who visited - who used to be ex-Virgin - says that the signal, having measured, into the Tivo box is too weak. 

Any advice on how to act?

0 Kudos
ninian
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Weak signal into Tivo box?

I should add that my neighbour is in her seventies, does not have email nor wifi. [delete]  

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You need to advise your neighbour to call Virgin TV Faults on either 150 from a VM landline, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone. Follow the options for "I have a fault with my TV service" and speak to an agent to report the fault. The automatic system might well try to remote diagnose and repair the problem, in doing so force you to hangup and redial in perhaps 10minutes.

VM staff do work their way through posts on here, but it can take a few days.

Whilst I appreciate your neighbour has given you their account details with the best of intentions, you are openly admitting (on a public forum) to breaching GDPR and Virgin cannot be seen to condone or encourage that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ninian
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate both aspects of your answer but unfortunately neither helps.

She has tried 150 from her landline and has not succeeded in speaking to a real person to report and describe the fault. I am not able to enter her house to assist for reasons of COVID restrictions.

I will delete/edit the evidence of my sin but seriously ...
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM staff do work their way through posts on here, but it can take a few days - and if your neighbour is genuinely struggling, they may be able to assist.

I hope it's not a silly question, to ask if you know why they're not succeeding in getting through to an agent? If it's the waiting on hold, they may get success by calling at different times or potentially first thing in the morning. I know a few people who've got through in <10minutes recently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ninian
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've passed on the 'phone early and persevere' on 150 advice. If nothing works after a week maybe changing supplier is the only option.
0 Kudos