Menu
HazzaTL
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin v4 box no channel info.

In my parents bedroom they have an v4 box that currently has no TV guide and no connection to the internet...

I tried going to network settings and connecting, but it keeps saying network cable unplugged...

Does a v4 need one? As it's never had one connected..?

I have some power line plugs, and multiple ethernet cables... So i put in a cable. But it still said no network cable plugged in.

I have noticed on several occasions when dad's gone to bed, and turned on the TV and asked me why is there no channels ! So I've had to reboot the box to reacquire the channels. I obviously tried rebooting the box today but it's not fixed.

I'm wondering if the box is faulty, and needs replacing.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin v4 box no channel info.

There's no such thing as a V4, can you confirm which box is in your parents bedroom as per https://my.virginmedia.com/your-tv-box/index.html ?

I'd assume you mean a TiVo, in which case the internet & TV channels are fed from the Coax cable, and the internet "cable" is a virtual one. If that is securely connected, then this does indeed sound like a faulty box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HazzaTL
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

yeah the tivo...
this one... https://my.virginmedia.com/your-tv-box/index.html#tivo

I tried removing the forward path attenuator and it's connecting now. so leaving it to load the listings taking ages tho...
0 Kudos
HazzaTL
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK, can I get a response to this?

I managed to get it working this time, but what's to say in 2 weeks or a months time when it tries to download new listings it'll connect then? 

Tried to get dad to call, but he said its got the listings now so why call them if it's working? 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi i can see his logic on this, is by chance turning the box off at the mains overnight, if so that would cause it to lose data, these boxes are designed to left on standby at all times.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@HazzaTL wrote:

OK, can I get a response to this?

I managed to get it working this time, but what's to say in 2 weeks or a months time when it tries to download new listings it'll connect then? 

Tried to get dad to call, but he said its got the listings now so why call them if it's working? 

The TiVo attempts to call home roughly every 6 hours to get updated listings, so you can keep an eye on whether these are working by following Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network and checking for failures in the top-left.

The occasional failure is "ok", but regular ones would be cause for concern.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
HazzaTL
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's left on standby.

I'll check its status tonight.

0 Kudos