cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media - tivo box removal?

ethonkent
Joining in

I've just renegotiated my virgin media, and part of it was to 'lose' the tivo box and phone line (which is grand, broadband is the main usage by far).

I was wondering though, do they genuinely lift the tivo boxes? I mind back in the day, they used to leave the NTL boxes and people used them just as a Freeview box, and I was kinda hoping to do the same. It's a couple of years old, but not ancient.

Anyone any experience with that? Please/thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi ethonkent 

The box will be deactivated so you won't be able to use it. 

The older Tivo boxes should be recycled.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ethonkent wrote:

I've just renegotiated my virgin media, and part of it was to 'lose' the tivo box and phone line (which is grand, broadband is the main usage by far).

I was wondering though, do they genuinely lift the tivo boxes? I mind back in the day, they used to leave the NTL boxes and people used them just as a Freeview box, and I was kinda hoping to do the same. It's a couple of years old, but not ancient.

Anyone any experience with that? Please/thanks.

All channels are encrypted, so when your subscription stops, so does your ability to view the channels along with the box being deactivated. NTL used to provide Freeview boxes to people in off-net (non cabled) areas. Cabled areas had the free channels on what was called the "player" package. This was removed sometime ago.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks