Menu
chrisnewton
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Tivo Box Freezing and over heating

I have the old style Virgin Tivo box (had it about 10 years now) and since xmas it has started to freeze totally and the only way to get it to restart is by turning it off, leaving it a few minutes and turning it back on again.  This used to happen once every few days over the last few months but its gradually got worse and now happens almost daily.

I have also noticed the unit gets super hot to the touch near the back.  

I phone virgin a few days ago and they said something about raising a works order and someone will be on touch with me to sort it out but no one has and the TV is now barely watchable.  

Can someone please look into this for me as i am worried about the over heating aspect more than anything and would like this sorting out

Many Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Tivo Box Freezing and over heating

If you login to your "my Virgin Media" online account, is anything showing under "my orders"?

If the box feels too hot to the touch, and is a fire risk, then please don't leave it powered up - no amount of TV is worth the risk!

If you want an immediate response to this, you will be best off calling into C/S on the usual number.

Out of interest, do you have VM broadband? If so, and you've had your package for a while, have you considered swapping to a V6 as part of a new 18month contract?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No nothing is showing there in my virgin media.

Yea i have broadband and have been a customer for over 15 years but they recently put me on a new contract as they sent me out a hub 3.  I would love a V6, i would just love something that works to be honest and not hot enough to fry an egg on !

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure why a new SH should trigger a new 18month contract - it's normally a package change that does that. Also what was the reason for the replacement SH?

More importantly, regardless of the reason for the new contract, when was "recently"? Was it in the last 14days?

Call in and ask for a V6 to be included if this was in the past 14days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No was about 3-4 weeks ago, they upped my speed to 350mb and took a few pound of a month so thats why they put me into a new contract, which i didnt mind at all.

Just would like this issue sorting

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate this is a forum for users but i do know there are some Virgin admin also on this site.  Can someone please emasculate this as a matter of urgency.  I have been on the phone 3 times now to 150, and they keep doing tests etc and saying they will get back to me but no one is.  The box is getting super hot.

I am only turning it on when we are in the room to watch, and its only lasting about an hour before it freezes up and i have to turn if off due to the heat.

I can not watch TV for the most part, and i have explained this over the phone and nothing is getting done.

I have been a customer for over 15 years and i believe i should not have to put up with a box that does not work and is getting hot.

Thank you

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If the TiVo is getting as hot as you say, I'd be minded to not even bother switching it on!! No amount of TV is worth risking a house fire...

But from the C/S side, you're doing everything you should do here and it sounds like VM-C/S isn't holding their side of the bargain and trying to resolve this.

For that reason I have escalated this thread for VM forum staff to come along and hopefully take a look. I can't guarantee how long this will take.

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your help !

0 Kudos
chrisnewton
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

3 more phone calls and still this is not resolved!

The box is like a friggin oven right now.  Its ok saying dont use it but without it we have no TV

I am a loyal customer and i am not asking for anything for free, i just want my box to work !

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Apologies you've not had a response thus far.

Pinging @ModTeam to take a look at this one.