Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV pixelation

We are suffering with intermittent pixelation, which looks to be mostly on BBC1 HD. Most frequently it’s a horizontal bar, and sometimes the picture freezes. I have also noticed this on our second TiVo box too.

Ran diagnostics as per the service status page, it told me to reboot but problems persists. Tried to run diagnostics again but I got a ‘network error’ message, and then another saying I had reached my limit of three tests for the day, even though it only completed one.

i have seen a thread on here with similar issues, now 44 pages long, so I sense I am not alone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin TV pixelation

Hi what did you discover from reading those threads. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I discovered that there were a number of possible reasons for this.

Following on from the advice of a moderator, I have submitted my query in a as a new post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi the most common reasons for this, first make sure the connections of the coxial cables are really tight, I've seen virgin engineers use a small spanner, if they are then i would guess a signal level issue for which you need an engineer to come to you and ajust the levels between the street cabinet and your box. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello jaybe
Thanks for your post and I apologise for the various issues you're having with your TiVo servide .
Upon looking at things from over here, I can see that we have a few signal issues.This will require an engineer visit to fix.
I have booked you in with the next available appointment.  Please find the appointment time slot via your online account. This can be cancelled and rearranged from there if needed.
Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, engineer came out and spotted some errors on the diagnostics. He further tightened some cables and checked the cabling outside, which seemed ok.

Told us to keep an eye on it and come back if there are any further issues. Later that evening there was some pixelation again, so I will keep an eye on it. I also swapped out the HDMI cable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I would be very grateful if someone from VM could contact me about this ongoing and varying issue. Pixelation remains and we have discovered that Sky Movies on demand is unwatchable - my son was getting frustrated as the picture was freezing and pausing so gave up.  The engineer said it could be the box, and he has already been out once to look at the signals and connections - which have been untouched since he came out last month. We have a very old TiVo which I just don't think is up to the job. I have run the diagnostics and it says there could be an issue.

Phoning VM is a non starter, I would much rather wait a week for a response on here rather than an hour on hold for the call to then be cut off. I tried live chat but told to phone. I logged a complaint at the weekend, and the stated 48 hours response time for acknowledgement has passed without receiving a response.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi jaybe,

Sorry about your ongoing TV issues 😞 I've had a look at your TV details and can't find any problems. However you mentioned that it's Sky Movies On Demand as an example. Can I ask whether it's all On Demand that are showing symptoms? How are the live channels? If you have more than one box, are they affected to or just one TV box?

Sorry for the questions but please let us know as we'll need to pin point the issue as your levels are all fine.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

Absolutely no problem, and I appreciate you need to ask all of these questions.

Pixelation still randomly appears on any live channel - the picture briefly has a strip or band of pixelation and sometimes it will just freeze for a split second. Sky Movies on demand is a separate issue, it just keeps freezing and not possible to watch a movie - we don't watch on demand that much on the box as it is unbearably slow anyway, but when we do it keeps freezing.

The box I am reporting is our main box in the living room, and although we do have another TiVo in the bedroom, it is not watched as much but from what I have seen it is not having the same issue.

Engineer has already been out and said to keep an eye on it, there were some signal issues which he fixed at the time.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, I've had a good nosey at both boxes and the tuner levels are low, not enough to throw an error but manually looking at the levels, they may be a problem. I've arranged an engineer to take a look as it's on both, please check your online account  to see the date and you may re-arrange it to a more suitable time if required.

Please let us know how it goes after the visit.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos