Menu
00smm
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

VM Junction Box Over Driveway

Hi, wondering if anyone could help.

I am buying a property that has a green VM junction box in the centre of the driveway. I would love to have it moved slightly so I am able to fit my car passed it and actually park on the driveway.

Can anyone advise how to begin this process, who to contact and how much it would be?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Junction Box Over Driveway

Is this box installed on your property or the public highway and was the driveway constructed before or after the box was installed?
M350 over FTTP
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

if it was installed the drive wouldn;t of been there. VM will normally not move them as it would take down everyone's connection that go though the box. And it will also cost way more then people would expect as it would need all the cables repulling.

VM wouldn't of been able to install the box in front of a drive so someone converted the drive after it was installed and most likey found out the cost and work to move the box and gave up.

Can you post a picture if the box and drive
0 Kudos
00smm
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think you are right in that they did the driveway and then enquired about the VM box, however they just want to sell and not deal with it which obviously means if we want to be able to use the drive then we will have to! Hence why trying to find out costs etc.

Such as shame as it wish we could just pick it up and move it over by a meter haha.

Here is the box, not smack bang in the middle but could do with being moved to the right.

vm.jpg

0 Kudos
00smm
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Its installed on the pavement and I believe was already there when the current property owners did the driveway.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

have they lowered the curb?
0 Kudos
00smm
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

They don't have a lowered curb no. As far as we know, they built the driveway and then wanted to sell without the faff of trying to get the box/curb sorted etc. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

then it's not a drive. you can't legally drive over a path unless its got a lowered curb.

Do I need a dropped kerb?
If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerb, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice. Furthermore:

You may become liable from a collision with a pedestrian
You may become liable for damage to the footway
You may face considerable costs as a result of damage to any utility apparatus under the footwa
0 Kudos
00smm
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We are more than happy to apply and pay for the curb to be dropped but firstly we are wanting to know what the process/pricing for getting the box moved is.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

it will be close to £50,000 if not more. Its not just as simple as moving the box. And VM normally will refuse to do it for the disruption and coss of customers.

you can get VM to review and quote for the work but they will change you for that work. Last time i heard it was somewhere near £500
0 Kudos