Menu
Florida1992
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 box

Been having connection and signal strength issues for a while. The box periodically has 2 red lights and then a flashing white light indicating connection issues. The network signal can be anything from 100% to 70%. I've checked all the cables, tightened if necessary, rebooted the box numerous times and even reset the hub. Trying to get through to VM team on the phone us a joke. They continually go through the security questions and confirm I've contacted them before  gave me the options of a text message to let me know the problem and how to solve it then cut me off and send a generic text leading to the faults page on the website, which, obviously I've already visited 🙄. This morning I hung on the phone for 30 minutes waiting and then was cut off. All I want is someone to check my equipment and sort out the problem. Been with VM since 2007 and have always been happy with customer service but this is ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box

When you say "Network signal", what do you mean by this?

If you mean the WiFi signal strength, then that's down to the radio conditions between your V6 & homehub, not something that VM can control.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Florida1992
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The signal strength is, I think, the WiFi details found in settings/network. Never had the problem before. I check if there's any fault or work being carried out by VM in my area and do a service status check. Often the latter prompts a message on the phone saying VM are aware of a fault in the area. Would a WiFi booster help? If yes, how do they work and where would it need to be positioned? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Where, exactly, are you seeing this signal strength reported?

What service issues or problems are you having?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Florida1992
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The signal strength is in settings/network page of the V6 box.  I've not had any issues with reception of channels and programmes are recording. I'm concerned whether this problem will affect watching live sports/TV, streaming programmes. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Every setup is different, but if you've not got service issues then I wouldn't worry. You can check your picture quality on any of the sports channels anytime.

The network settings screen is referring to the quality of your WiFi signal between your homehub & V6 box. Again, try watching a programme from OnDemand - they all use the internet. If they play ok, then your 'net connection is ok 🙂

If you're desperately concerned, then follow Home > Help & Settings > Help > (top of screen, scroll across) TV Speed test.

Florida1992
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

V6 box

Yesterday I posted a question about my V6 box indicating an intermittent WiFi/internet connection. Thanks japits👍 for your help. 

Today the box showed there was no internet connection and I rebooted (as I had many times previously) the box. I now have at "loading channels" bar on screen stopped at 16% and then an error code S101. Anyone any idea what's happened? 

Spoken to VM and they're sending a technician. Just want to know if the problems with the box, the cable or something else and if it'll can be fixed by the technician. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Florida1992 wrote:

Yesterday I posted a question about my V6 box indicating an intermittent WiFi/internet connection. Thanks japits👍 for your help. 

You're quite welcome 🙂 I think your latest update is a follow-on, so I've put your posts together.

@Florida1992 wrote:

Today the box showed there was no internet connection and I rebooted (as I had many times previously) the box. I now have at "loading channels" bar on screen stopped at 16% and then an error code S101. Anyone any idea what's happened? 

As per https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/s101 this often suggests a problem with your TV signal. If VM have arranged an engineer appointment, this probably means they've not been able to remotely diagnose this to a faulty box network issue - and therefore this needs physical investigation in front of (not necessarily but potentially) your box, cabling & external connections.

Florida1992
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They did remote tests without solving the problem. I just wondered if anyone else has experience of this issue and can let me know if it's usually resolved by the visit. As we're in these weird and difficult times TV is a lifeline 

0 Kudos