Menu
Harty2018
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Understanding Tivo Capacity

I am wondring how the Tivo Box's (older version) capacity is calculated? 

I have 68% on my HDD used and if says that is around 80 hrs of SD TV and 16 hrs HD. So, If I delete 13 items all at 1hr 5mins or so in legth that means I should gain around 14hrs of space back? The only reason I ask is I watch the stated amount of recoreded TV and I have only gain about 8 hrs back? Stated with 72 hours left and after watching and deleting it has only gone up to 80 hrs remaining when 72 plus 13 or so hours is 85 hours I should have left. 

I hope this makes sense it does it my head but I struggle to get that across clearly sometimes 

Thanks in advance 

Stew

All answers are advice and you heed my advise at your own risk
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Understanding Tivo Capacity

Simple answer.

Virgin Media have been gradually changing the compression of transmitted programs, resulting in less space being used for each hour of recording.

Unfortunately they have never bothered to reflect this in the algorithm used to calculate the space usage.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Vmk
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So, we are paying for a certain capacity that we are not getting. Virgin Media is ripping us off?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Vmk wrote:

So, we are paying for a certain capacity that we are not getting. Virgin Media is ripping us off?

You misunderstand. You can store more than the quoted figure.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Tavis75
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'd also add that the figures for the space in hours have always been very much estimates, different channels use different bitrates, so deleting an hour program from one channel may create more space than one from a different channel, generally find that the bigger channels (i.e. BBC etc.) use higher bitrates and therefore take up more space (but have better picture quality).

0 Kudos
Harty2018
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Tavis75 Thanks for the reply, I guess that makes sense. Like today I started with 80 hrs left watched a good chunk of TV and it has only gone up by 5 hours it is very confusing if I am honest. 

0 Kudos
Harty2018
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C Thanks for the reply, It is great that VM have bettered their compression ratio on transmitted programmes to allow us to record more of the TV we love it is just really confussing. Oh well I guess as long as I can watch the recording and it is regaining space when I delete that is all that matters. I look at things a little to much in depth sometimes I guess. Thanks again for your helpful reponse.

0 Kudos