Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Two Tivo boxes but only one shows Sky Cinema

I have two Tivo boxes. On one I can watch Sky Cinema, on the other when I select Sky Cinema the screen goes black and I have to go back to the Menu and start again. I have turned off my Tivo box but still I can't get Sky Cinema.  I can get other Sky channels on the faulty Tivo box.

Any ideas please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Two Tivo boxes but only one shows Sky Cinema

Hi julesr1,

Have you tried swapping the boxes over to see if the fault follows the box?

The black screen may be due to HDMI leads.  Is the TV that's connected to the faulty TIVO a 4K UHD TV?  If so you should be using a HDMI2.2 cable and should try different HDMI ports on your TV. When changing HDMI ports it's always best to reboot the equipment so the changes can take effect.

Often, especially on older TV's only one port is compliant with HDMI2.2, On Samsung TV's they are usually labelled MHL.

The black screen is often more to do with copy protection than 4K pictures.

Following instructions on this page usally fixes the black screen error virgin-tv-error-codes/604  (ignore the text that says this show is temporarily unavailable on the first screen)

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have done some more checking.  All my TVs show Sky Cinema on Tivo box 1 and none of my TVs show Sky Cinema on Tivo box 2.  And actually, I have the same issue with Netflix where on Tivo 1 I have no problems and on Tivo 2 I have to keep on turning the box off to make it work (and it only works 50% of the time).

Do you suggest that I book an engineer?

J

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First off, are you sure you have TiVo boxes and not V6? If you're not sure, check here 

Second, if you're getting the lead-in adverts and then a black screen, or just a black screen on VOD.. for a moment, disregard the Sky Cinema bit and please try watching a programme from ITV, C4 or C5 CatchUp (not BBC - that's an app). I'll wager the same thing happens.

If it does... and you're probably watching on a 4K UHD TV? newapollo's advice to follow https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/604 is spot on.

If your symptoms tick all these boxes, then it looks likely to be an HDCP compatibility issue which is not a fault. If anything about this is not as I suspect, then if you can specify where... then I'm sure one of us can lend some advice!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello Very Insightful Person

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked your link, and I have V6 boxes not TIVO - so thank you for that clarification.

I have 5 TVs.  On one of my V6 boxes all TVs work on video on demand.  When I switch to the second V6 box, none of the TVs work on video on demand.  So to me, that means that the TV settings/cables etc are fine (as they work on box 1) and the issues are solely related to box 2.

On both boxes all TVs work on Sky Sports and Sky News and BBC iplayer and all the normal channels like ITV and Ch4 and Ch5.  Box 2 struggles with Netflix (I regularly have to switch it off/on to stimulate a Netflix connection). I never have a problem with Netflix on box 1.

So to me, this still leaves box 2 being the culprit.

I look forward to hearing whether I should be calling out an engineer - or can I simply ask for a box swap from Virgin?

Thank you again for your help

J

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Excellent explanation...

I'm tending to agree that box 2 has an issue, but with one other thing to rule out... how are the boxes connected to your homehub? This provides the onward connection to the internet.

Ethernet is the most recommended method for numerous reasons, WiFi should work but introduces extra variables. Take Netfix (specifically) out of the equation and substitute internet/VOD (in general) as that could be the underlying issue.

Are both boxes using the same method when they're using the same TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am not sure if this is related but when I renewed by Virgin contract (which included upgrading from 500mb to Gig1) I lost all Sky Sports on one of my two boxes. After messing about (including a factory reset) I rang support. A little tinkering from them and as if by magic my Sky Sports re-appeared. Not sure if there is a similarity here

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

As I'm understanding these posts, @julesr1 has issues with VOD (Video On Demand) whereas @archercj is feeding back on problems with the live TV.

If so, that's a different issue. Worth checking though 🙂

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again for your response.

Both boxes are connected exactly the same way via Ethernet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounding like a duff Ethernet connection on that box then, no Ethernet means no internet means no VOD/EPG Updates/etc..

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, there's 2 things in here for info. The top-right corner shows your connection status and (if appropriate) WiFi signal strength. The top-left gives you the status of the regular (6hourly ish) calls home. I'm going to guess that this screen will indicate connection losses somehow, sooner or later.

As a side investigation, and this is only applicable if your tv is a 4K UHD one, try dropping the video output to 1080 (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video) as it's 2160p that causes HDCP issues if some of your kit isn't compatible.

You can try using WiFi as a temporary workaround. Obviously not ideal long-term, but better than nothing until the box gets attended to. Best call this one in, good luck....