cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tv channels pixelated and sound breaks up

Lisacov1
Joining in

For a few months various live TV channels have been pixelating. It is now getting worse and we are unable to watch some channels as the sound also breaks up. Tonight BBC1, BBC2 and channel 5 were particularly bad in both standard and HD definition, we have tried resetting the box and also a new HDMI cable but none of these have helped.

We have also had problems using the on demand service, it looses connection even though there is an internet connection, we gave up trying to use it as it was so frustrating. 
I have tried ringing 150 to get help but gave up after being on hold for over an hour. Any help to resolve this would be very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

As regards your OnDemand, the TiVo has an inbuilt internet connection, entirely separate from your home broadband. The green "heartbeat" LED on the front-left should remain solidly on at all times. If it flashes, that's the onboard modem failing and is a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Pixellated pictures on live TV are often the sign of a signal fault. If you've rebooted your box once, then there's likely a fault somewhere, so this will need VM to intervene. You're likely to need either an engineer visit or a replacement box, depending on what VM's remote diagnostics turn up.

First check the automated faults line for any existing issues in your area that could be the cause: 0800 5610061. If nothing's reported, assume VM don't know about your fault and ideally you'll need to call them.

150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone - choose the options for "I have a fault with my TV service". Alternatively you can wait on here for staff to respond, which may take a day or so.

As regards your OnDemand, the TiVo has an inbuilt internet connection, entirely separate from your home broadband. The green "heartbeat" LED on the front-left should remain solidly on at all times. If it flashes, that's the onboard modem failing and is a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the information japitts. I have checked the automated faults line but there are no reported faults and as we have been having the problem for a few months I presume as you mentioned it could be a signal fault or a faulty box.

When we have the problem with OnDemand the green LED light on the left does start to flash so your explanation helps me understand why it is happening. Thank you, I will try to call 150 again tomorrow and if I have no luck hopefully a member of staff will pick up my problem on here and assist me.

Hi Lisacov1,

Thanks for your post and a big welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you have been having with your TV service. I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate your account via your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Lisacov1, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message with your details. 

Taking a look at the stats on your box, your input levels are way too low. These will need adjusting to get them back in range to stop the issues you're having. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM Just go to My Account > Track your orders.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. 

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for all your help Kath 

The engineer came today and has replaced my TiVo box, problem now solved. Thank you 

Thanks for your post and update, Lisacov1.  Glad to hear the technician visit has sorted your TiVo issues with a replacement.

Cheers,

Corey C