Menu
Jimbo3150
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tivo sky cinema on demand issues

I have been a tivo user for over a year, Only recently, due to being at home ive started using sky movies on demand service. Never used it before, just watched the movies broadcast "Live", and never had an issue.

When i watch a movies on demand, every 2 or 3 minutes the picture briefly freezes, judders, i lose sound then it returns, i never go more then 5 minutes into a movie before it happens again. No error codes come on the screen. I phoned virgin and yesterday, they sent me a replacement box, i was unsure it was my box issue as i have installed it today, ensued all connections are tight. Same thing. intermittent problems on the demand movies. I called virgin who said they would assess it with there team over the 72 hours. Not sure what that means?

Anyone out there had issues like this with a tivo 500gb.?

Not even sure if on demand uses the internet of if it streams directly down the coax? but my internet connection is solid in every respect anyway.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo sky cinema on demand issues

Hi its almost certainly an internet issue as it is a streaming service, the older tivos have built in receivers for the internet, I'm afraid also these boxes are old and not good at receiving streaming services like on demand, Netflix etc, the only thing I can say is upgrade to a V6 box. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Although of course the newer V6 boxes are faster and better at using VOD, that's not to say it shouldn't work perfectly well on the TiVo either.

Are you noticing this problem at all times of day or night? How about, say, BBC iPlayer - this also uses the inbuilt 10Mb/s modem.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jimbo3150
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for both you help guys. First question is I have been reluctant to switch to v6 as I use a video sender set up so the scart on the tivo is useful.

With regard to watching other content, I regularly use I player, and netflix through the box with no issues.... only problem is with on demand movies.... can't go 5 minutes without a flick and juddering.

0 Kudos
Jimbo3150
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you micky.

Does the movies on demand use the internet side of my set up? As a test today I totally disconnected the internet, switched it off completely... picked an on demand sky movies.... and it loaded and played. But with obvious judder issues every few minutes as previously described.?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you have missed the main point here.  The TiVo box does not use your main home internet connection, so disconnecting that would have no impact on the TiVo performance.  The TiVo only uses the coax connection to contact the VM headend.

You may have a signal issue on your TiVo connection as the inbuilt modem should be good enough to stream on demand Sky Movies.  Suggest you report it again as a fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps also worth pointing out that IP-VOD that Sky Cinema is delivered over, is now also used by ITV, C4 & C5 CatchUp.

I'd agree with the previous post from Graham in everything else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Jimbo3150
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to you both. I'm waiting for a follow up call from vm.

Like I say netflix, Iplayer is fine.

Interesting that certain catch up channels use the same delivery method. I'll watch a few catch up shows tomorrow and see if I have similar issues to that as my movies on demand.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Jimbo3150
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thought id give an up date on the problems i was having. I had an engineer over who measured my levels and all were found to be correct. He changed all my connections and even arranged a brand new main cable run from the road. Surely that would cure the issues...

Tested it for a week and on my second tivo box. Live channels fine, live sky movies fine. But watch a film on demand on catch up, breaking up, freezing at least every 5/6 minutes. Given up. Will just have to record a movie if i want to watch later and try to never use on demand again! Cant say anymore really!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post Jimbo3150.

Can we please confirm if your box is connected through an ethernet cable to the Hub? 

Are you experiencing any other broadband issues at the moment? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos