Menu
Drumbeat
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo recordings from Challenge +1

I realise the Challenge +1 channel has closed, but why should this mean I have lost all my recordings from this channel? I had over 100 Challenge +1 recordings on my Tivo box, but when I try to watch these recordings, a Virgin message appears telling me because of the closure of Challenge +1, my recordings can't be viewed. I thought recordings were saved to the Tivo box. There have been previous instances when recordings I have made have been from channels that had closed since those recordings, yet I was able to view them, so why not the same for Challenge +1?

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo recordings from Challenge +1

As part of the contract Virgin Media have with Sky, the agreement includes a requirement from Sky that means you can't watch recordings for a Sky channel that's not part of your current subscription. Usually that means where you've downgraded your TV subscription to not include the channel it was recorded from.

My understanding is that Sky apply the same rule on their own TV platform.

As Challenge +1 is a Sky channel, it would seem that also means it applies where the channel closes.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Drumbeat
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ben,

Thanks for explaining everything. Obviously, I wrongly assumed that the recordings, in this case from the now dead Challenge +1, were stored on the box to view at anytime - even if the channel has since closed.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The copyright exception that allow recordings within the UK is for timeshifting purposes only:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright#time-shifting

Time-shifting
A recording of a broadcast can be made in domestic premises for private and domestic use to enable it to be viewed or listened to at a more convenient time.

The making of a recording of a broadcast for purposes other than to time-shift a programme for you or your family is likely to be illegal.

However it's not a blanket exception. The rights for broadcasters and content producers are part of any content agreement Virgin Media have, and it's those which are the primary control over what you can access and for how long.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Drumbeat wrote:

Hi Ben,

Thanks for explaining everything. Obviously, I wrongly assumed that the recordings, in this case from the now dead Challenge +1, were stored on the box to view at anytime - even if the channel has since closed.

Challenge is owned by Sky & if they remove a channel or you cease to subscribe to it, you also lose the right to access any recordings made from that channel. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Drumbeat
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

OK, thanks, everybody, for your replies. It seems  bit mean of Sky to do this, particularly as their main Challenge channel is still on air. I have noticed that two recordings I made from Sony Crime are still viewable on my Tivo box despite the channel closing down, but then again, the channel wasn't owned by Sky.

Anyway, thanks again. Appreciated.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Drumbeat wrote:

OK, thanks, everybody, for your replies. It seems  bit mean of Sky to do this, particularly as their main Challenge channel is still on air. I have noticed that two recordings I made from Sony Crime are still viewable on my Tivo box despite the channel closing down, but then again, the channel wasn't owned by Sky.

Anyway, thanks again. Appreciated.

You will have 6 months to a year to watch any recordings from Sony Crime. Its only the Sky channels where rights are removed immediately.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

'The making of a recording of a broadcast for purposes other than to time-shift a programme for you or your family is likely to be illegal'

yep, recordings are meant for later viewing within a reasonable period of time. not for long term archiving/storage. tv companies/film makers want customers to see their product elsewhere in the future where they can get more money via subscription from them (ie was on channel 4 but later on netflix). they don't want customers keeping digital recordings of say game of thrones for a decade.
0 Kudos