cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo - not connecting to internet

kd24
Joining in

Hi all, looking for some help if possible. We have two virgin boxes, a V6 in the front room and an old Tivo in the bedroom. The bedroom Tivo is not connecting to the internet. We used to open Apps in it and connect to Netflix but this is no longer working. Now I recently bought an eero to extend the Wifi as the router is in the back part of the house and the connection to the V6 was very weak, We can't use powerline to extend the internet as the back part of the house is on a different ringmain - the eero works well and has extended the Wifi range and the V6 is very happy now, to do this of course the router is in modem mode. But now the Tivo won't connect to the internet. It doesn't have an option for me to connect it to the wifi. When I open network status it has an IP address and it connects to Virgin just fine. Obviously no ethernet connection to the box, never has been, just the virgin line in - which I thought also connected to the internet in the Tivo?? Is the lack of internet because the router is now in modem mode? Any way to connect to the internet of get the Tivo wifi to work, I have reset the box after talking to Virgin on the phone but having done that the box isn't even showing Apps and Games as on option which it did before the reset. Any insight much appreciated. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The old Tivo's have no wifi.  They have a build in modem and only need the co-ax cable connected.  Usually there would be a splitter in the co-ax, one goes to the Hub and one to the Tivo.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

minispiney
On our wavelength

If the TiVo has an Ethernet port and it's near one of the Eero boxes you could just connect them both with an Ethernet cable.  The Eero will give it an IP and it will be on your network and have internet access.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 5 - Modem Mode - Eero mesh
My Broadband Ping - VirginMedia OL15

Many thanks - shows how much the Virgin chap on the phones knew .... he said a reset would bring up a wifi option.... So the fact the network status is showing an IP address says the box IS connected to the internet???

Hi thanks for the reply - not really an option though as the Eero is still to far away and I've set it up so the Ethernet out from the Eero goes back to my desktop which is by the router/modem.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @kd24 

I've moved your post to the TIVO forum as you're likely to receive quicker and more meaninful responses here rather than in the broadband forums.

The info below is from fellow VIp @japitts  (who I hope mind me tagging him here) He's an expert in TIVO boxes and connections.

1: On the front-left of the box there should be 3 green lights. The middle of the 3, next to a heart symbol, is the "heartbeat" light which indicates the internet connection. Is this on solidly, or flashing?

2: Using your TiVo remote, follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network. In the top-right, does the box show connected? In the top-left, it should show the date&time of the last network update or the reason for failure. That timestamp should be sometime in the preceeding 6-ish hours.

You can also try forcing a manual connection by using "Connect to Virgin Media Services now" at the bottom of the screen, waiting a while and repeating your check of the timestamp in the top-left.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for moving the post and the questions. 

1. The middle light with the heart is a solid green

2. Under network - the top left says left last attempt Friday 12/11 @ 13:04 and was successful. Top right there are details for IP Address and MAC ID for both cable modem connection and Ethernet connection. I did a connect to Virgin Media Services - it's currently whirring away and on 93% so that's getting signal 

Yet still on the Home page there is nothing in the slots along the top of the screen that usually have preview stuff etc, there's no access to Apps and there's also no access to catch-up services. 

Quick update - getting error v210 when I try to access On Deman or Catch-up. the  Connect to VM services was successful. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ok, so playing CatchUp here, geddit?.... I'll get my coat.

So the solid green light is on, network connections shows an IP address and a recent connection. How are you trying to access VoD, and does it make any difference how you do it?

Finding a programme in the EPG/guide and choosing "Watch now"

Following Home > OnDemand or Home > CatchUp

If a BBC programme, going via Home > Apps > iPlayer

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi - makes no difference - search for a programme is not working and the everything else is saying error v210.