cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo crashing in catch-up

GBoyce
Tuning in

We have a tivo box that has been crashing whilst watching catch-up i.e. iplayer, stv player, virgin catch-up for drama, alibi etc.  After rebooting it usually works fine for the remainder of an episode although it crashed 3 times in 45 minutes last night. It keeps saying to check cables but they haven't been touched since installation and it's screws into the back of the box. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what you've described, I don't think this is an HDMI issue at all. That you don't have an issue with live TV, for me, isn't strange but one of the glaring clues...

All the functions you've referred to use the internet for connectivity, and TiVo's have this connection inbuilt. It's quite a common thing for the onboard 'net connection to fail and users to not realise.

On the front-left of your TiVo are a series of green lights, next to a heartbeat symbol is the status light for the internet connection. Does this flash when you have problems? If so, the onboard modem has failed and that's the reason. It's a box fault and you should report it to VM - either by calling in or waiting on here for staff to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi you should still check yourself that they are tight and HDMI is pushed in fully, if that doesn't solve it then phone and go down the TV faults route as the built in modem which supplies the Internet may be faulty. Regards Micky

Thanks. I'll check them again. Strange thing is that we've only had problems with catch-up not live TV. Would've thought if any of the cables were loose/at fault we'd have intermittent problems with everything. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From what you've described, I don't think this is an HDMI issue at all. That you don't have an issue with live TV, for me, isn't strange but one of the glaring clues...

All the functions you've referred to use the internet for connectivity, and TiVo's have this connection inbuilt. It's quite a common thing for the onboard 'net connection to fail and users to not realise.

On the front-left of your TiVo are a series of green lights, next to a heartbeat symbol is the status light for the internet connection. Does this flash when you have problems? If so, the onboard modem has failed and that's the reason. It's a box fault and you should report it to VM - either by calling in or waiting on here for staff to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi there @GBoyce

welcome to our forum and thanks for your post. 

I'm sorry to see that you are having issues with your Tivo crashing. Just to confirm how often is this happening? Also is your recording percentage over 80%?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

The tivo box was starting to crash every time we watched catch-up. Sometimes this was during 30 minute program. Our recording %age was between 80% and 85% but after your message earlier I deleted some to reduce the %age to 77%. After about 60 minutes watching catch-up it's crashed again. This time normal TV was affected and error number was W02.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @GBoyce 

Have you tried following the online instructions to try and fix the signal issue?

https://www.virginmedia.com/care/tv-error-code/W02 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Yes tried that. The TV worked until the next time I watched catch-up and it crashed again after about 30 minutes. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IMHO the box is clearly faulty

Losing connection during VoD can be blamed on the internal modem failing.

Rebooting is a fault

W02 is a loss-of-signal error that could have the same cause as the modem issue, but in any case is a fault.

Hi there @GBoyce

Thank you so much for your post and I am so sorry to hear that this is happening! 

I'm going to send you a PM now so we can take a closer look into this. 

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.