Menu
richmond
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box stuck on 'Starting Up...'

Hi,

I can see from previous posts that this has been happening to a few people, and the answer seems to be an engineer call out  / new box.  Was there a recent software update that could be causing this, or are a batch of old hard drives all conking out at the same time??

I have done all the usual reboot, wait, (no good) remove all cables, wait for longer (overnight), replace cables, try again and again (still no good), so if I can avoid waiting in a long phone queue to be told to do all that a few more times I would be grateful.

If anyone knows of any possible solutions which would mean I don't lose my recordings that would be perfect!!  Otherwise, can you please arrange a call out / send a new box please?

Many thanks,

Richmond

0 Kudos
richmond
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box stuck on 'Starting Up...'

Hi, the TiVo box hasn't worked for a week now and it looks terminal to me. Not sure if nobody's replied because you're so busy, or if I wasn't clear enough in my first post that I need help? Could someone arrange a call out or a new box please, or if I have to phone it in before you can do this please confirm. Many thanks. R 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Forum staff work through these posts, but it can take a few days. If you're off-service, I'd recommend you call into TV faults to progress this. It will almost certainly be the quickest way to get your box replaced.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi richmond,

Thanks for posting and sorry for the late reply.

I can see you've been able to contact us since posting, if you do still need help with anything let us know.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
richmond
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for asking. The TiVo was unrecoverable as expected.  The good news is that I am now sorted and the replacement V6 box is fully up and running.  Also, despite misgivings from reading various issues on this forum, I am very impressed with the V6 picture quality and sound - a definite improvement over the old TiVo, although there are noticeable differences in volume level output between the different apps.

Feedback on the process of getting up and running:

• V6 box was delivered two days earlier than promised.  Great!
  • I had been told on the phone that instructions for sending the old box back would be included with the V6 - the V6 instructions told me Virgin did not want it back so I should recycle.  (Why did the phone operative not know that the box wasn't wanted back?)
  •  
  • Setting up the V6 was easy, up to the point when it stuck on 33% loading channels.
  • When I got through to the call centre to report this I was told the V6 instructions should have told me to call with an activation code.  I followed the instructions to the letter and there was no requirement to call and no code was provided - the activation as described should have been automatic.  So which was wrong - the written instructions or the process the call centre was expecting?
  • When the call centre kindly put me through to the technical department (after several 'on hold' conversations with team leaders, etc. - surely this is not an unusual event??) - they did indeed need to send an activation code to get my box up and running.  So why is this not part of the process per the instructions?  Baffling!!
  • All the people I spoke to were great and helpful and I got what I needed in the end.  It just took a whole morning on the phone to get there, and the Virgin processes for set-up don't seem joined up at all.
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know richmond 🙂

I'm sorry for any confusion over the activation, you should just need to call, no code needed, then it would be activated.

I can certainly make sure this is fedback.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
richmond
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alex,

In that case someone needs to amend the instructions that are sent out - no mention of calling to activate anywhere!!!

Cheers,

Richmond

0 Kudos