cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tivo box just locked up and rebooted .. now dead

jumbojake
Dialled in

our old Tivo box has been struggling recently... yesterday locked up and sometime later tried to reboot.. but failed.

After an hour, I tried to power cycle, but just stuck with a mix of green, red and blue lights showing... nothing happening after several hours.  Tried again, same problem.

Can this be fixed, or need someone out to replace the unit ?

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's probably failed, but I'd recommend you call faults to report it. 150 from your VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone.

TiVo's are no longer replaced like-for-like but now with a V6. The only crucial difference is that a V6 needs VM home broadband to function - do you have this?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply... not getting anywhere with the phone lines and the online chat just isn't working... perhaps the support lines do not work on B/H weekends?

Yes, I have Virgin broadband, but I don't think the wifi reaches that room very well .. that's a separate issue I cannot get fixed !

@jumbojake wrote:
but I don't think the wifi reaches that room very well .. that's a separate issue I cannot get fixed !

Are where the TV is located and where your hub is located both on the same electrical ring main? If they are then using a powerline adapter might be an option

no, separate rings ... they sent me the new pods, but that only makes the wifi stability much worse, so turned them off.   I suspect the router is end of life, it's pretty old now, need to reboot it a couple of times a week, which virgin team think is reasonable.... to me doesn't sound right

Does the router look like the one in the picture in this article?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40382877

no, it's the one that came after that

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jumbojake,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing some issues with your TV box! I can understand how frustrating this can be.

From looking at this page, can you confirm which TV box you have and which one you're having issues with? 

Have you tried to reboot the TV boxes by turning them off and back on again by using the switch on the back of the box? 

Have you taken a look at our WiFi Pods Troubleshooting page to see if this can help with your WiFi Pod issue? Please give it a try and let us know.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

we had problems with the original Tivo ... that has (yesterday) been replaced with a reconditioned V6 ... it took a few hours of  reboots and power cycles, but that one is now working ok.

Is there anyway to recover recordings from the old Tivo hard disc .. or is all of that lost?

Also ... does the old box just goto the coucil tip, or will someone collect it ? 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jumbojake 

I'm afraid there is no way to retrieve yupor old recordings.

VM don't require the older TIVO's to be returned.

See https://www.virginmedia.com/help/return-or-recycle-equipment 

There is a link on that page to help you find local recycling centres, however it may a good idea to check your local councils website for info on recycling centres

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali