Menu
jonbeech
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box won't play tv properly - a band of interference appears on 20%of screen and unit "hangs"

Here's an image of it. We've rebooted loads of times, VM have done remote diagnostics and still not fixed it.

Here's a photo of the screen

I've drawn a yellow box round the problem, in case it's not obvious from the image

IMG_20201011_202046958.jpg

Reckon the box needs fixing/swapping. But cannot get through to anyone. Anyone know how to book an engineer site visit/ or to request a box swap?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box won't play tv properly - a band of interference appears on 20%of screen and unit "hangs

Is that on particular channels? (Can you be specific if so)

Or on streaming video apps?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jonbeech
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box won't play tv properly - a band of interference appears on 20%of screen and unit "hangs

This was bbc2, as I recall. Wasn't a streaming service

Called Customer services today and they were surprised our 7yo TiVo was still working at all

V6 box arriving in the next few days, apparently. Anyone who wants a spare (legacy) TiVo box to tinker with/refurb should hit me up, and I'll put it in the post: VM don't want it back

0 Kudos
jonbeech
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

bootingbootingafter bootingafter booting

v6 box hasn't fixed the problem we experienced with the tivo box. wonder if we need an engineer visit?

Is there an email we can contact?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't bet against this being an HDMI problem.. have you tried a different HDMI plug on your TV, or a different cable?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
jonbeech
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The new v6 was helpfully supplied with a new hdmi cable. I used this instead of the 20 quid one I got from Richer Sounds, just to be in the safe side.

I've swapped the port on the TV as you suggested, and the problem remains. None of these problems when I cast Netflix onto the TV or when I use the posh hdmi to connect to the Xbox, so I'm not convinced the problem lies in the TV. 

What a puzzle this turns out to be. Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a possible video output issue from your V6 then..

Can you try changing your video output settings (Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video output) and see if that makes any difference?

I'd next wonder if you have a duff HDMI port on the V6.. although you've been mighty unlucky to have that on 2 boxes if so.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Part of each frame is still encrypted, which is the band you are seeing. The V6 needs swapping out.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos