Menu
anitasam
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo 500 box and netflix

Hi, We have 2 TIVO 500 boxes in 2 different bedrooms. In one bedroom Netflix works fine and in the other it cuts out after 30 mins or so. I understand that TIVO 500 boxes do not need wireless or ethernet connection? Is that correct?  

Can I actually connect the box with an ethernet cable to the powerline extender? What's the solution? HELP! I called Virgin and waited a long time and really did not get a reply.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo 500 box and netflix

The TiVo 500 box has an integrated modem however it is an older generation modem and could suffer capacity issues on the network in your area.

I'm not sure if the TiVo can be connected to home broadband to boost reliability and speed available, but I can't see it hurting to give it a try.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
anitasam
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your swift reply Matt.

I will try to connect to via ethernet, have to juggle things around in the room. Virgin have a 600 box - is that added cost and is it a better box - will that help solve the problem of Netflix connectivity?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin's latest TV box is the TV 360 and while it will better perform it does lose a lot of features as it no longer uses the TiVo platform for is software.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@JitteryPinger wrote:

The TiVo 500 box has an integrated modem however it is an older generation modem and could suffer capacity issues on the network in your area.

There's nothing inherent in the legacy Docsis-1 broadband (which the old TiVo's tend to use) that makes them suffer capacity issues. The box's hardware is as much the issue as the broadband speeds.

@JitteryPinger wrote:

I'm not sure if the TiVo can be connected to home broadband to boost reliability and speed available, but I can't see it hurting to give it a try.

It can't. The TiVo has an inbuilt connection, and that's it. The boxes have an Ethernet connection point, but it's only to enable multi-room streaming and not to replace the internet.

My stock reply seems quite appropriate to include here...

OnDemand & Streaming services on the TiVo (NOT the V6) have two issues:

1: The box is quite old and runs old hardware, it can struggle with the streaming apps (iPlayer, Netflix, YouTube) especially and this is one (of a few) reason why the additional apps are only available on the V6. There isn't any way of sugar-coating this, I'm afraid.

2: All OnDemand & streaming apps rely on an internet connection, the TiVo's is in-built (separate from your home broadband) but this often fails without users realising. On the front-left of the box are a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart symbol next to it and is your "online" light. A static light is good, but a flashing heartbeat lights means the TiVo's internet connection has failed. Anything relying on the internet will fail when this happens.

Scenario 2 is a fault, and you should report it to Virgin Media on the usual number (150 from VM, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone). It may be an external network fault, but is often a box failure & replacement.

As has already been mentioned, the V360 is an entirely new software platform and doesn't use the TiVo software you're used to. In time, and with more development, V360 will undoubtedly improve - but for now, it's different. Not necessarily better, not necessarily worse, but different. And a move to V360 is a one-way migration.

If you have a TiVo and struggle with OnDemand/streaming apps, you would notice a massive improvement with a V6-swap.. providing you can get reliable WiFi or Ethernet to it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos