Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TiVo working as freeview

We have had to cancel our TV service due to money issues. We were told by an agent over the phone that due to us having a very old TiVo box we have had for years that this would be able to be used as a freeview box once the service cancelled. This is not the case we have lost all channels except BBC one and itv and they have a notification box scrolling round them. Help 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo working as freeview

you can not use the box once canceled. You need a subscription to use any of the VM boxes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Every sign here that the service agent has worked for another provider & has slipped up. Virgin media is the ONLY provider you cannot do this with.

VM is a closed network, so use of any equipment requires a subscription even to use “free” channels. The basic BBC/ITV channels are only unencrypted as by law they have to be available even when a customer account is locked.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi you will now need to receive your TV pictures via an Ariel a roof one is the best or there are some quite good indoor digital panel ones on the market, and ovieously a TV with built in freeview.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When your contract is terminated your TV box will no longer be able to decrypt the TV channels but you will be able to view a handful of free to air channels as they are unencrypted. This state of affairs will continue until your cable in the street cabinet is disconnected (probably to connect a new customer).

You are far better off getting your TV from Freeview, and for some people even an internal aerial works OK.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

it's not the cable being disconnected that will happen first. it will be the box failing to book as it can;t connect and authenticate.