cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo series link on BBC4

nevwg
On our wavelength

Series link won't work on BBC4. I have to mark each episode to record separately. Although the on-screen menu then suggests that a series has a series link (the option to change the series link appears), subsequent episodes do not have the record symbol. I don't know if there are any other channels that have the same problem, but BBC4 is the only faulty channel that I record regularly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A manual recording will always override a series link, and that's what you seem to have done here.

Once that manual recording of a particular episode has been set, then the SL will fall in-line with that and TiVo-software doesn't allow an override.

The only way to lose that planned recording is to manually cancel it, in which case TiVo-scheduling logic is effectively told to not record that episode.

Quite happy to look at any other specific examples that you can provide.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Tavis75
Super solver

A lot of the content on BBC4 is repeats these days, is it possible you've got the series link set to "New Only" rather than "New and repeats"? I have quite a few BBC4 series links that work OK.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the advice from tavis doesn't work, what's the programme that's not series-linking?

Date & time of broadcast would also be helpful.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nevwg
On our wavelength

It is any programme on BBC4. I select the programme, mark to record the episode, mark to record the series, return to the guide, and there is no symbol by the programme, either the single record symbol, or the series record symbol. I have to re-mark the episode to record. The screen menu tells me that the series link has been made because it offers me the menu to change its options, but it hasn't been made.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Post up some examples, together with the SL settings.

Anything fitting tavis' hypothesis - which I agree with so far - will be listed under recording Hiccups.

nevwg
On our wavelength

You'll see the record episode symbol, but not the record series symbol.

01.jpg

 But the screen tells me that the series link is set:

02.jpg

Hmm, odd. That series link looks OK and I just tried setting one up myself for that program and that seemed to work OK, so not sure why it isn't working for you (I used the app rather than the main box, which I wouldn't expect to make a difference, but may be worth a try).

You could also try the "Everything" option rather than "New and repeats", possibly the box thinks the show has been recorded before. Means you'll pick up the late night repeats as well, but not a big issue to delete them. 

nevwg
On our wavelength

"Everything" had no effect. I just tried one or two other channels. Sky Arts HD behaves the same as BBC4. Gold HD is fine -- I can set up a Series Link. This is all using the remote and the TiVo box. I've not tried using the app.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A manual recording will always override a series link, and that's what you seem to have done here.

Once that manual recording of a particular episode has been set, then the SL will fall in-line with that and TiVo-software doesn't allow an override.

The only way to lose that planned recording is to manually cancel it, in which case TiVo-scheduling logic is effectively told to not record that episode.

Quite happy to look at any other specific examples that you can provide.

nevwg
On our wavelength
Solved! Thanks very much. Clearly, one has to set the SL options right from the start, before setting "record this episode". I guess that the reason it occurs so often with BBC4 is that (as you say above) so much of BBC4 is repeats. That's probably true for Sky Arts as well.