Menu
Rojo_Habe
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TiVo playback issues

Not havig much help with the main web site Help pages so I thought I'd start here, rather than add to the inevitable congestion on the phone lines in these troubled times.

There are other threads on this but they'e all quite old so I thought it best to start a new one.

I think the hard drive is failing in my TiVo box.  It's been going on some time but it's only now that I've decided to investigate.  For a long time now I'll be streaming from this box to my V6 (pretty much all it's used for) and all of a sudden it'll throw up an error message and drop me back to the Home menu. This has become increasingly bad over the last few days so I decided to try watching the content on the TiVo box itself. At random points during playback it'll start stuttering and then completely freeze, sometimes for minutes at a time.  Further investigation shows that this happens with all recordings. It doesn't always happen on the same place, and if I doggedly skip back enough times I can sometimes get the section to play.

Signal quality is fine, no blocking or freezing on live TV.  Just playing back recordings. I've tried rebooting, and clearing the cache (Thumbs down, Thumbs up, Play Play), still the same.

Just to be clear, this is the original TiVo box I'm talking about, the V6 box is fine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Rojo_Habe
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo playback issues

Quick update. I very quickly got a PM from Adrian at Virgin, who sent me a replacement box. It's a V6, and I was expecting an old-style TiVo. I've PMed him back but it's the weekend now so I don't expect a response till Monday.
Does anyone know, is the V6 the standard box now, or will I end up paying extra if I install it?

0 Kudos
Rojo_Habe
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Replying to my own posts again.

After a bit of research I found somewhere on the Virgin website that the V6 is the standard box, so I went ahead and installed the it.  Big mistake, as it deactivated my V6 in the other room. There was nothing wrong with that one. Basically I've had a box swap for the wrong box. Adrian stopped responding to my PMs and I still couldn't get through on the phone so I decided to live with it for now, albeit with a new V6 box and the loss of any recordings I had on the old one.  To add insult to injury, copying the settings across online from the old box didn't work, so I had to input all my series links again (the ones I could remember - probably loads of stuff I'm missing). A tech came by a couple of weeks later to pick up the old one and I resigned myself to just putting up with it till the Corona Apocalypse subsides into the background.

Meanwhile, a month later, the second box has gone from bad to worse.  It seems to have done a complete factory reset, has lost all its recordings and all series links (bar one, for some reason).  All the settings are back to out-of-box, right down to the the annoying sound effects whenever you press a button on the remote.  I'm even receiving "Getting to know your new TiVo box" messages.  This has to have been done from Virgin's end.  I can understand a faulty hard drive losing some or all recordings, but to suddenly think it's a brand new box, someone's surely sent some sort of a hit to it.

Might as well get rid of it for all the use it is now - except I'm on Mates Rates, so getting rid of it would actually cost me even more than the eighty quid a month they're already taking off me.

I'm seriously tempted (not for the first time) to bin the lot, at this stage.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Good Evening

Sorry to her of the issues you've been having with your V6 box

Does the set top box reboot at all or is it just a case of the box returning to factory settings?

What advise were you give from the technician you were PMing on our Forums?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Rojo_Habe
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi David

There is nothing wrong with my V6 box.  Never has been but it's been swapped out anyway. Perhaps it's best if I start at the beginning. This will be a long post but please read carefully, as I don't want any further misunderstandings.

I have two boxes.  A v6 as my main box, and an old TiVo 1TB as my second box.  It is this second box that this thread concerns.  I must strongly reiterate that there is NOTHING wrong with the V6.

For a long while (probably years), I'd be streaming from the second box to my V6 and would occasionally get dumped back to the home screen.  I put up with it for a long time because it didn't happen that often and I put it down to possible networking problems with my homeplug adapters.

More recently, the problem became far more persistent to the point where I couldn't watch anything from this box, so I decided to try watching the content on the box itself rather than streaming it.  That was when I discovered that most of my recordings had become unplayable: they'd get so far in and then freeze.  I concluded that the hard drive was probably on its way out so I started this thread.

All seemed well when I received a PM from @Adrian_N asking me to provide my account details so he could send me a replacement box. I replied with the relevant details and the box arrived the following Friday evening.  I couldn't help noticing it was a V6 so I PM'd him back asking if this was correct, as the box it was [supposed to be] replacing was NOT a V6. It being Friday Evening, I didn't expect to get a reply straight away so I did some research and found an article somewhere on your web site saying that the V6 is now the standard box, so I opened the package.

Alarm bells should have been ringing by now, as I noticed it was literally just a STB and power supply.  No leads, no remote, no F-type to aerial plug adapter. I sent Adrian another message informing him of this fact and really wish I'd stopped there. I used to be a network engineer, however, and knew I must have an F-type adapter knocking about somewhere, so I dug one out and went ahead and installed the box. It all seemed to go very smoothly and was up and running in about half an hour.  Then I went into the other room and discovered that my main V6 box had been deactivated, so basically the box swap had been set up for the wrong box.

When I received no replies form Adrian after the weekend I had a decision to make: try to get through on the phone during a pandemic or keep the new V6 box, losing all my recordings from the old one. Having failed to get through on the phone during the weekend or on the following Monday I chose option 2, since I knew someone would be along to collect the old one at some point.  I attempted to copy the settings across using Virgin TV Go online: after finally realising this doesn't work at all with Firefox I believed I had succeeded using MS Edge, but my old series links never appeared on the new box, so I've had to put back what I can remember manually.

At that point I PM'd Adrian a final time stating that I'd basically given up. Someone came and collected the old V6 a couple of weeks later and I decided to just live with it for as long as it takes to get out of lockdown.

The second box actually seemed to recover a bit after that - the problem didn't go away but I was able to stream some recordings. Presumably it had found some good sectors to store those recordings on.  Then about a week ago I noticed that all the recordings were gone except some random Silent Witness Episodes, so I came back into the back room and turned on the telly in there to have a look at the box directly.  Everything wass defaulted. No favourites, no recommendations, all the silly sound effects were back when you press a button on the remote, and I was receiving "welcome to your new box" messages.  Weirdly, there was just one Series Link: Silent Witness.  Everything else was gone.

With so few recordings currently on this box I can't tell whether the original faut is still there.  It'll take some time to let them build up.

Now, to answer your questions:

@David_Bn wrote:

Does the set top box reboot at all or is it just a case of the box returning to factory settings?

Not to my knowledge. It's mostly left unattended though, and just used to stream content to the other box, so I wouldn't notice if it rebooted a lot. The fact that it was still in Standby when I came to check it before writing this suggests that it hasn't rebooted in the last few days.

@David_Bn wrote:

What advise were you give from the technician you were PMing on our Forums?

None.  I've had no response whatsoever.  I think my barrage of PMs first thing on a Monday morning might have upset him (sorry, Adrian).

Again, apologies for the long post, much of which is a repeat of what I said before.  I just felt it important to get everything in one place for clarity.  Once more, let me say, there is NOTHING wrong with the V6 (other than the fact that it's been swapped uneccessarily).  It's the second box, the old style TiVo 1TB, that's had all the problems.

0 Kudos