Menu
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TiVo box stuck in starting loop even after powering off box at mains

It looks like our trusty TiVo box is broken. It has never given us any trouble in the many years we've had it, then recently we turned on the TV to find it stuck in the starting loop.

I've tried powering off the box at the mains and removing the HDMI cable and even left it off at the mains for a few days, but every time you power it up from this state, it makes a repetitive clicking noise for several seconds before the starting loop begins, then you get the green power light and third red light on the right-hand side illuminated with 'starting' on the screen for several seconds, before the screen goes blank, then all the lights on the box illuminate briefly, then the cycle repeats.

Is there anything else we can try, or does the box need replacing?

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo box stuck in starting loop even after powering off box at mains

Hi mjpartyboy,

Sorry to see you are having major problems with your TIVO box. The clicking noise is probably because the hard drive has failed.

Unfortunately you need to contact the Faults team on 150 from a Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 2 (Faultsbut best to call at 8am to avoid call queues 

When calling Faults you will get an automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support, ignore the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and resolve the problem.

You could also try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of TV Faults to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

We called and avoided any options for self-help and the automated service tried running checks, which failed, as it couldn't reach the box. Obviously, because it won't boot up properly.

We were sent a unique link to try to diagnose the issue ourselves and then it abruptly ended the call with no options to speak to a person. So, we followed the link and ended up on a page to say there is a problem with the TiVo box and to order a free V6 replacement.

There was no mention of this getting us tied into a new contract, so that better not be the case.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@mjpartyboy wrote:

There was no mention of this getting us tied into a new contract, so that better not be the case.

Based on what you've said, there's no reason to believe that would be the case.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The replacement V6 box arrived this week and is up and running.

There was no information provided about what to do with the old, faulty TiVo box. We've still got the old HD+ box that our original V6 was sent to replace.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear your replacement is working, nice to read a good news story!

Check out Virgin Media recycling for info on what equipment is currently being returned. Sounds like you can recycle your old kit.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos