cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo box needs replacing

panda12345
Tuning in

Hello. Our TiVo box is old and not working properly. We have tried all the recommended reboots etc and there are no local issues. It IS the box. I cannot get through to anyone on the phone to order a new one. I cannot access help within the account - why don't you have a "contact us" email?? I finally, in despair, contacted "Zach" via your Facebook page and he told me to come here. He assured me that someone here could deal with this .... let's see. To add insult to injury I have discovered we should have had a new box over three years ago. You never sent it!!!! Please respond urgently.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-gives-its-customers-a...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let's just take what sounds like pixellation & picture breakup. This is often indicative of signal issues, and if it persists in-spite of a reboot then you clearly have an undlerlying fault. Depending how long this has been going on for, you can check for known area issues by calling 0800 5610061. If, as I suspect, nothing is listed there, then the issue is likely to only be affecting yourself.

On the subject of the phone lines, I'm not going to dispute that the automated IVR trips many people up and I'm sure is the cause of much frustration. But it's certainly not impossible to get through - once you've chosen the options for "I have a fault", just refrain from pressing any further options and just wait. If the system hangs up on you, redial immediately and repeat. That often works, and yes - relatives of mine have had to do exactly this recently and got through after a short wait.

VM staff can and do respond on here, but I'm just pointing out that it's not a real-time service incase you were expecting them to reply with the same expediency that other community members are often able. This is primarily a community forum, with staff working a day or so behind, or on posts that peer-peer support is inappropriate for such as those that require remote diagnostics or account access.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, you've not actually explained what the problem with your TiVo is. It may well need replacing, but without knowing the problem, it's impossible to be certain.

What're the problems you're having with the phone lines?

What do you mean by "should have had a new box over three years ago"? The link you've posted refers to "eligible customers" so if you weren't contacted, then I can only presume you didn't meet whatever criteria were inplace.

For info - Virgin staff respond on here but this forum isn't a real-time support service and you may be waiting a day or so for them to respond. If we can clarify what your fault is, then it means all the info is inplace when they do.

(Edited to rephrase a point)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for responding. I would be happy to go into detail about the problems we're experiencing with someone at Virgin Media but I cannot access an actual person there!!! In brief, sometimes the channels don't work, when they do the picture breaks up, and pressing buttons on the remote leads to a slow response from the box (yes I have changed the batteries and rebooted the box, many times!) Obviously if an engineer could fix this it would be great but then I'd need to speak to someone at Virgin to get an engineer to come here. Have you tried phoning them recently? You simply cannot get through. The social media team on Facebook are very responsive but they cannot deal with these kinds of issues. I was given a text number for Virgin. This turned out to be a bot! There is no means to email for help within the account. The person over at the Facebook account told me these forums were manned by Virgin staff and they WOULD be able to help me. As for eligibility for a new box .... well we have the package that was eligible. If we weren't eligible I would like to hear that from someone at Virgin Media.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Let's just take what sounds like pixellation & picture breakup. This is often indicative of signal issues, and if it persists in-spite of a reboot then you clearly have an undlerlying fault. Depending how long this has been going on for, you can check for known area issues by calling 0800 5610061. If, as I suspect, nothing is listed there, then the issue is likely to only be affecting yourself.

On the subject of the phone lines, I'm not going to dispute that the automated IVR trips many people up and I'm sure is the cause of much frustration. But it's certainly not impossible to get through - once you've chosen the options for "I have a fault", just refrain from pressing any further options and just wait. If the system hangs up on you, redial immediately and repeat. That often works, and yes - relatives of mine have had to do exactly this recently and got through after a short wait.

VM staff can and do respond on here, but I'm just pointing out that it's not a real-time service incase you were expecting them to reply with the same expediency that other community members are often able. This is primarily a community forum, with staff working a day or so behind, or on posts that peer-peer support is inappropriate for such as those that require remote diagnostics or account access.

Thank you 

Hi @panda12345 Thanks for posting.  

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your TiVo box.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee

Hi panda12345

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R