cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TiVo box keeps rebooting

Michbalazs
Tuning in

Hi

My TiVo box keeps rebooting itself and then it gets in sloop of reboots until I turn it off and on again. This is happening every half hour watching. 
and if I’m watching something that’s recorded it goes for 10 minutes and then stops and reboots../

it’s driving me mad!

best wishes

42 REPLIES 42

caz64
Joining in

I’m having a similar issue. For the last few days my TiVo box keeps rebooting itself, but will only complete the reboot if I unplug it, then plug it in again. It’s happening at least once per hour, and makes watching or recording anything virtually impossible. 

Hey caz64,

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Tivo box, this sounds like a new box will be needed to resolve this.

We need to pass account security and confirm all the details over a private message and we can then look into getting a new box sent out to you.

Regards

Steven_L

The biggest issue with this is that you cannot backup anything, or even get a record of what was on, the old box. You may get a new box but you'll lose everything and every record of what you had before. Not very satisfactory too say the least.

Claire35
Joining in

Has anyone got this problem sorted without having to have an engineer come out to the house??? I've had this problem start today.... within the space of an hour it has re-booted 3 times during the same programme....shouldn't have bothered watching the programme.

Due to a shielding household we cant have anyone enter our home, but cant sit with a useless box and pay for a package that we cant watch a full programme either. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Claire,

if VM agree to replace the box then you should be able to swap it out yourself.

You should click on Check service status at the top of this page and see if there are any local issues. You can also run a test from there to check your equipment. Iit sometimes resolves any problems.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Our Tivo (the old one), is having problems as described on this thread.  Only it's rebooting every 5 minutes approximately.
I'm in a web chat, but have only spoken to Terri the bot so far then passed on to human, then to Tech Support, and waiting.....
I don't know if I'll lose the connection... almost 5 hours so far.  Some one answered, but I was on a 'break' and was passed 
back to VM Automated A after 5 mins :-o.  Another hour passed, no reply.

Any ideas how I can resolve the problem.  I didn't want to phone the help line and take up a line that a more
vulnerable customer would need more than myself.

I also tried the Check Service Status for TV, but it just says oops and doesn't work.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@specfreak wrote:

Any ideas how I can resolve the problem.  I didn't want to phone the help line and take up a line that a more
vulnerable customer would need more than myself.

I understand your sentiment, but if your service problems are as severe as you say they are, I'd suggest you more than qualify as entitled to speak to a C/S agent to get your fault logged and dealt with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'll ring them tomorrow. I gave up after 7 hours. Shame my 5 mins break cost me losing out getting further with my resolution. Given the age of the Tivo box, it could be the mechanical hard drive that's corrupt?
I should have got the V6 upgrade when they were free.

Hi specfreak,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your TiVo box.

Continued reboot can sometimes be caused by loose cables. Have you been able to check over these to ensure they are all secure?

^Martin

No worries, I got through on the phone after 30 mins (early bird) and they're sending me out a v6 box.
Shame you can't copy the recorded programs to another box, I have them on my wired network.
According to the info page it uses MPEG2 audio and H264 codecs for video, so it should have been possible unless the stream is encrpyted or uses a custom filesystem if you tried to read it on a computer?
Can't even use the external USB to export. It's a shame.

Cheers all