Menu
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TiVo being left behind technically?

First been broadband customer for maybe over 20 years , TV customer must be at least 10 but being a techie and embracing all things smart into my home I find myself questioning if to move TV to another provider as TiVo always seems to be on the back foot. Love to know if there is plans in future of a new box like the reported TiVo Edge leaked about a year ago. My TV is more advanced than TiVo, love to see something that properly supports Alexa, Prime,Netflix without issues as well as HDR, as on my TV HDR is switched of as my TiVo goes **bleep** up with it on. Seems to be a common problem with HDR in a lot of different brands of TV & TiVo. My TiVo box is only thing in my house I can’t control with Alexa.

My thoughts areto move (maybe) to sky again because they appear to embrace and improve Q as Virgin with TiVo seems to have attitude we will flog this V6 horse As long as we can.

I love being with Virgin never really had issues and I am sure I am not only one out there that been thinking we are being left behind.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo being left behind technically?

The V6 hardware is far more advanced than the standard TiVO it superseded. The V6 was actually built for the Horizon 4 UI that Liberty Global is now introducing over its other operations in Europe. We were the first to get (& test) the hardware using VMs existing TiVO platform. The main advances of Horizon 4 are:

1) Voice controlled remote.

2) Cloud storage of all recordings, negating the need for a hard drive in the box.

3) Seamless integration with all the OD content.

https://www.libertyglobal.com/liberty-global-launches-next-generation-entertainment-platform-horizon...

The Horizon 4 UI is currently on test & is due to go live by the end of the year in the UK.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Will the voice controlled remote mean everyone who uses a V6 getting a new remote control?

With the cloud storage in theory could recordings be accessed from any internet enabled device of any type anywhere?

Does it mean that all "old style Tivos" will also get replaced? Won't affect me but will affect my parents if the old style Tivos are getting axed

0 Kudos
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So basically there flogging the dead horse that’s called TiVo, why boast such an “Awesome” box and put what has been a sub standard customer UI for years. Boasting of the new horizon UI almost 2 years ago yet like with old and now v6 the UI is a mess. Well it is a modern fickle buyers market where fast, effective user UI is important, companies need to move at a decent tech pace to keep customers. Guess I will see where I be in the coming months for TV services.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@b0xx wrote:

So basically there flogging the dead horse that’s called TiVo, why boast such an “Awesome” box and put what has been a sub standard customer UI for years. Boasting of the new horizon UI almost 2 years ago yet like with old and now v6 the UI is a mess. Well it is a modern fickle buyers market where fast, effective user UI is important, companies need to move at a decent tech pace to keep customers. Guess I will see where I be in the coming months for TV services.

Don’t forget that LG took over VM UK while they still had an existing contract to use the TiVO firmware. It would have cost LG a considerable sum to dump the deal. There were also considerable upgrades required to VMs TV infrastructure (MPEG4 transmission for instance), some of which was not compatible with the V Box or V+HD Box hardware that over a million customers still had in their homes when LG took over.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@SpacePhoenix wrote:

Will the voice controlled remote mean everyone who uses a V6 getting a new remote control?

It will be an option, yes.

With the cloud storage in theory could recordings be accessed from any internet enabled device of any type anywhere?

You will still use the Horizon app in the same way as TV control/TV go now. The main advantage is fluid viewing between devices & no loss of recording should your box go kaput. Access to programmes as always is down to agreements with channel owners, but the capability to download material & watch recordings at other than the registered  address will be built in.

Does it mean that all "old style Tivos" will also get replaced? Won't affect me but will affect my parents if the old style Tivos are getting axed

They are being slowly phased out now, excluding those in use where a customer does not have Virgin Broadband.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The V6 is a cheap STB and meaningless to compare it with expensive 4K TVs. But as a STB it still does a good job of upscaling to HD and 4K, supports HDR and HLG and Dolby Atmos (via Dolby Digital Plus). I'd expect an upgrade for Dolby Vision and maybe HDR10+ to come at some point. There are apps such as YouTube, Netflix and Prime Video.

Even without the forthcoming Horizon 4 upgrade I have to wonder if Sky's Q 2TB or BT TV's and TalkTalk's YouView boxes are really any better.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Any idea what the timescale is for the old style Tivo boxes to be phased out?

0 Kudos