Menu
Evernight
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVo 500GB box won't get past 'Starting Up'

Hi, could I speak to a member of staff on this please. I've tried phoning, but after 5 minutes getting through the menus each time, I then always seem to be on hold to the point I wonder if anyone's actually there. I appreciate that Covid is making things difficult, but I can't even try the phone anymore as that's not working now either. I also can't get through to anyone on webchat as the website refuses to accept I'm logged in when I get anywhere near the webchat or contact parts of the site, though it accepts I'm logged in elsewhere, it ships me off back to the Help page. I eventually filled out a message regarding the phone, pressed Send, and was instantly put back to the home page with no indication that it went through.. can't spend another week+ waiting just to find out it didn't go through.

Anyway, here are my problems. Sorry that it's in this specific sub-section, but I've been at this a long time and am having an unacceptably hard time getting in touch. We pay alot for this service and it's always flaking out, then it's a massive pain trying to get it resolved.

My TiVo 500GB box tries to start up, has a load of lights doing their thing for awhile.. mostly red, sometimes a green light or three, and a blue, but then ultimately fails and starts over. The screen never gets past saying 'Starting up'. The other two boxes in the house are working fine (one is also a TiVo 500GB). It's been down a week now, but I've not been able to get in touch. I've tried turning it off from the mains for various amounts of time, including overnight. All cables are secured. We've had these particular boxes for a few years now. Serial of the box ends: CPK.

The landline phone has no dialtone. If you call it from a mobile, it sounds to the caller like it's ringing, but the landline itself doesn't ring. if you pick up the landline while the call is trying to get through, it doesn't connect and there's still no dialtone. It did this for 2 weeks recently, then worked again out of the blue last week, now it's back to not working. My parents are elderly and get calls to it from the hospital and GP, otherwise we wouldn't really use it as it's just forced into the package.

The internet loves konking out. I had various ISP's for about 15 years before Virgin with less downtime between them all that entire time, than I seem to get each year with Virgin. Problem is there's not usually any point reporting it as it either already shows there's a known problem that gets fixed within a few days (not great!), or it's some random intermittent problem where the connection just drops in and out throughout the day. Was doing that a couple of days ago - every half hour or so it'd drop for up to 10 minutes. Could have been the heat, but I don't think so.. it wasn't doing it on other hot days, and was still doing it through the night. I don't think there's anything specific to fix here at this point, but I just feel the need to mention that we're not getting a great service, and it's costing me alot of time always trying to resolve.

I know it's not the fault of whoever might answer this, so I apologise for making your day tougher, but at £123 a month it's a big expense for us that isn't delivering.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo 500GB box won't get past 'Starting Up'

Hi Evernight,

Hopefully a member of the forum team will pick this up for you in a day or two.

have you tried using a different telephone in case it's the actual phone that's faulty?

You could also check for local outages by clicking Check service status at the top of the page.

There's also an unmammned line Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more local issues down to postcode level.

Are you having any issues with your broadband? It's possible the signals may be affecting all 3 services.

As a community member the same as yourself, i don't know which services you have, or how many boxes, however looking at the amount you are paying, it may be an idea to look at regrading your account to see if you can get a better deal.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Lisa_CC
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey there @Evernight, welcome to our Community Forum and sorry to hear about your "woes" regarding your services. No need to apologise about your post as it's what we're here for (keeps us busy too 😉 ).

I've had a good nosey at the details using the information we have on here and can definitely see issues. Your TV boxes, I can't really check them as they are showing as offline but your broadband which I can see is showing up high upstream power levels. For your landline, I've checked the switch details and they look fine so if you don't have a dial tone, it may be a physical problem causing it.

I want to get a tech out to take a look but I also want to check that I'm looking at the right account. I'll send you a Private Message asking for some details and hope you can reply back soon so I can arrange it.

Thanks,

Lisa

Evernight
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave 🙂

We did try a spare phone with the same results, but tbh I'm not 100% sure if that phone works. Don't know whether my parents ever used it or where they got it from.

We're not having any broadband issues right at this moment that I'm aware of, it seems to have settled back to normal the past day or two. The other two tv boxes are working fine, no problems. I wondered if this box maybe had a firmware update that didn't download properly back when the internet was being more flaky.

With the package we're on, we've got 3 boxes, with the Full House tv package (the channels we like are spread around), M100 Fibre Broadband, and Talk Weekends for the landline. I'll have a look over the package prices after this gets fixed to see if we can cut down the price a bit, as my mum's been talking about it for awhile but doesn't get around to it 🙂

Thanks alot for the help, I'll check out the other stuff too!

0 Kudos
Evernight
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Lisa, I'll check my messages 🙂

-Andrew

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Andrew,

If you are getting the Full House TV (without the sky sports and sky movies) then its the same as the new Maxit TV bundle. The difference being the Maxit package doesn't include kids channels - they would be an extra fiver a month to add on.

The Maxit package ( bigger bundle) is  shown here. bigger-bundle 

It's £45 a month for new customers which rises to £82 per month out of contract.  You could use that as a negotiating point.  You would have to pay £10 a month extra on top of the package price for your 3rd box. 

You can use this page to compare channels in the different packages ChannelGuide_August 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Evernight
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Dave, appreciate it 🙂 I'll look it over!

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the details @Evernight and can confirm that I've booked a tech out to take a look at the fault. The details will be available via the online account and can be re-scheduled if necessary.

I've noted on the tech notes to check all three services as the telephone and Tivo Box (which looks like there are some tuner issues) will need to be checked so I've asked them to check the broadband whilst they're there. When I mentioned upstream power levels, it's not your upload or download, but rather the data travel along the network from your Hub to our equipment outside. It's something for the Tech and ourselves to look at and if the levels are not right, it can affect your actual usage.

Please let us know after the tech visit if there are anymore problems and we'll be able to take another look for you.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Evernight
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the setting that up 🙂 I can't see a tech booking yet, but will keep checking back in case it hasn't gone through yet.

-Andrew

0 Kudos