Menu
John_2_VM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Television status check 3 -we're trying to sort it out

My TiVo box has died, ran a status check via desktop but not available for television & worked okay for phone. Tried via my iphone and status check works okay.

This test is currently at stage 3 with the message 'we're trying to sort it out for you' & symbol ! underneath

Anybody know what this means? As there is no timescale,access to a site to monitor progress, etc.

Well can't leave the phone on. So will try again later.

thanks John_2VM 🤧

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Television status check 3 -we're trying to sort it out

Hello John_2_VM

Thanks for your post 
Sorry to hear about the issue you are having with your TiVo box

I have checked a few things and can see we have swapped this box over now 

Has everything gone back to normal no then?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
John_2_VM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gareth_l

The television was starting up & the start up package was running but after displaying start up a number of times on the screen the television showed no signal. What next?

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying John_2_VM

Looks like we need to come out and check this so 

I have booked the first engineer appointment we have available
You can check and reschedule this appointment through your online account if you need to
You can also cancel it if the fault has gone 
Can you please let me know how the visit goes 
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
John_2_VM
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gareth_L,

Last night I finally got past the no signal & mode problems. On viewing the system information section I discovered a HDCP problem. Our current television is probably not HDCP compatible due to its age or the HDMI cable supplied by virginmedia is the problem. I'm still elarning. I am expecting an engineer booked by an alternative route on Monday to rectify the problem so we can watch TV or leave us to consider upgrading to a HDCP compatible television.

Any advice would be appreciated. For example is there a easy intermediate fix to our current situation? As we are receiving you service okay. It's just we can't watch it.

Thanks John_2_VM

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John_2_VM

It might be best to wait for the engineer 

But now you have mentioned the issue with HDCP 

Do you not have a standard HDMI socket on the back of the TV?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
John_2_VM
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A reply to clarify my situation,

A virgin Media engineer was booked and arrived promptly as expected on 07/09/20. He confirmed the service supplied by Virgin Media to the TiVo box okay. As expected. Yet the connected television was not working. There was a suggestion there was something wrong with the television. To me this was strange as there was nothing wrong with the television.

The engineer left, job completed on behalf of Virgin Media. Yet the customer was unable to watch television. HDCP, Highbandwidth Digital Content Protection was the problem & our current television not being compatible. I'd never heard of this previously. Even though it's been in use for some time. An investigation was made to improve my understanding. Basically if your television 7 years or more in age it won't be compatible. Care is still required when choosing a new television as compatibility is still an issue, so watch out.

Among the purposes of HDCP, as suggested is protection. It seems as a typical customer. I'm going to copy the film and distribute it. I've been watching films for some time now & have never recorded one previously let alone circulated one. Even with access to a TiVo box which presumably can be used to watch a film later if required. I suspect this is an activity which won't be pursued but with the loss of sport coverage currently, who knows?

Another reason for HDCP is improvement in picture quality. It was interesting to read that whilst there is no reason technically to doubt this. Most people might not notice especially if using a smaller screen on a high quality 1080p television.

Well now I know a little more & am able to watch television again via the latest version of TiVo box. Which appears much improved with the addition of new facilities but still painfully slow for services such as iplayer.

For the uninformed proceed carefully.

John_2_VM 🤔

0 Kudos