Menu
kenno150
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TV pixelating, Catch Up freezing

I've had Virgin TV for a while now. Over the past 12 months my picture quality is getting worse with pixcelation on many channels and it's 10 times worse playing back recordings. Catch up TV usually freezes half way through a programme. 

I was offered a new box a couple of years ago but declined as the one I had was good enough at the time. I need to take up the offer now but can't get through on the phone.

I've checked all connections and reset my box but still no better. It's ruining my enjoyment. Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV pixelating, Catch Up freezing

Pixellation on live TV is generally indicative of a signal fault. OnDemand doesn't use the TV signals, that could be a different issue, possibly a failing internal modem on your TiVo. If recordings are affected, you could have hard drive problems.

All things taken - you are best to report your issues. Realistically, you have 2 options at the moment.

1: Call upto faults, speak to an agent and they should arrange an engineer visit at the very least. You allude to problems with this - what's the issue?

2: Wait on here for VM staff to respond, this may be less painful than calling but won't be immediate. Given that it's Saturday, you may be waiting a couple of days.

Depending how long you've had your current package, and assuming you have VM broadband, you could do worse than consider a swap from a TiVo to a V6. Same software, but much newer box that's far more capable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @kenno150

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your TV, but we can certainly look into this for you. 

Firstly, do any error codes appear on the screen at all or is it just the pixilation is bad? 

Does rebooting help at all? Does it prevent pixilation for a while or does it still pixilate straight away? 

It may be that we need to run some further checks on your account, but please do let me know. 

Is it any particular channels at all or all channels? 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
kenno150
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sasha, thanks for your reply. Sorry it's taken so long to respond to you, I have spent the last couple of weeks trying to monitor the points you raised, I had never actually tried to pinpoint any particular channel until now.
After carefully monitoring the performance it seems that no one particular channel is causing a pixcellation problem, it occurs on any channel at any time. What is noticeable is that the problem is much worse when the box is trying to perform another task while I watch TV, ie if watching a channel while recording another and if recording 2 channels it's really bad. Likewise, recordings made while another task was running are very poor.
Also on catch up, sometimes I can watch a programme successfully but usually it freezes and a message advising that the programme is currently not available comes up with an error code 602. The message actually reads

'The show is temporarily unavailable.
We are sorry you can't watch this show right now, please try again later. You can find more info by going to Help on your Virgin TV box: Home>Help and settings>help and find troubleshooting>on demand. Or, go to virginmedia.com/service status'.

I've tried a reboot several times without any change.

I think the box is beyond it's useful life and needs replacing.

I also need a new remote as none of the buttons have writing on them after years of use, we have to work it by memory!

Thanks for your help.

regards

Steve

0 Kudos
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi @kenno150,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue, and I'm really sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue!

I have been able to locate your account and have ran some diagnostic tests. What I can do is raise the picture issue and the 602 error issue on your account. This will be sent over to our second line team to look over to see if they can resolve this issue remotely. 

This process may take up to 48 hours. After this time, please check on your TV box and see if there have been improvements with your picture issue on live TV and if the error on Catch Up has disappeared.

In regards to your TV remote, you can order a brand new remote on our website here.

Please let us know how you get on and if you need any further help with ordering your remote.

Get back to us in 48 hours to let us know if your issue is still persistent. If so, we will be able to send someone out to look into this issue for you.

Thanks! 🙂

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos