Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

TV picture freezes on Channel 4 & 5 catchup

Whenever I try to catch up a Channel 4 or Channel 5 programme, it starts well but then freezes, usually after the opening adverts.  This happens whether I am accessing through Catchup or through All4 or the Channel 5 equivalent.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV picture freezes on Channel 4 & 5 catchup

Does the same thing happen on ITV or Sky VOD?

The underlying VOD (On Demand) technology (taking the apps out of the equation) is identical, so this will help ID if you actually have a more general VOD problem.

Are you watching on a 4K UHD TV?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've had to go and look again.  Yes; the same happens with ITV, Sky and Fox, but not with iPlayer.  Again, it freezes when the introductory adverts finish, but the adverts are fine!

I am using a4K UHD set, but only at normal definition.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

iPlayer is also an app rather than being on VM's own VOD platform 😉

What is "normal definition"? Can you be exact? UHD is 2160p, HD is 1080 - what is your V6 set to? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output

As a suggestion here... disregard your lack of error message and follow the advice here - please post back with your outcome!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

By "normal definition" I meant neither UHD or HD.  Is that 720?  I don't know.

The box is set to 2160 output, but going through the questions in your Virgin link, I have reset it to 1080.  It still freezes.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I'll suggest rebooting the box now you've changed that setting, it can occasionally need a reset to apply those changes. Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Clear or reset my TiVo box, and go for just the basic reset.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that suggestion.  I've done all that, but it has made no difference - the freeze still happens.  Maybe I'll just have to make sure that I record the programmes I want to watch, or watch them as they are broadcast.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Malcex wrote:

Maybe I'll just have to make sure that I record the programmes I want to watch, or watch them as they are broadcast.  

I'd always recommend recording where possible anyway, but it's just possible your box could have a fault.

It's a strange one, and you certainly seem to have exhausted the obvious fixes.

0 Kudos