Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Picture Pixelated Tivo box 2023

webtronix
Tuning in

Hi 

I have a Tivo 1Tb box.

Last year on some of the channel, especially the asian non HD channels, the pictures would be heavily pixellated.

Rebooted the box many times with 20 min gaps but still the issues would be there. HD channels would not be that badly affected.

This year, it's changed and now affecting quite a lot of channels where every now and then, you'd get big blocks of colour spread accross the screen for seconds.

Even swapped the TV and HDMI cables but still the same issue.

Is this a fault outside. I can see another thread but not sure how to get this intermittent fault reported.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@webtronix wrote:

is VoD fed from the signal cable or from the internet. I do have an Ethernet cable fed between my router (BT) and the TiVo box.

If you have a TiVo rather than a V6, this Ethernet cable will be doing nothing at all. A TiVo has an inbuilt 'net connection fed down your co-ax and internally split out - the Ethernet port is for multiroom streaming only.

Not just that, but a V6 - which relies on Ethernet/WiFi for the internet - needs VM home broadband to work, a non-VM 'net connection won't cut it.

For the purposes of this thread/fault, VoD being OK proves this to be a TV signal fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @webtronix 

Normally pixelation is a sign of bad signal which may be due to either your indoor cabling or external sources/equipment. If it keeps continuing you should contact VM.

Firstly though, check all of your cabling, especially the white coaxial cable, and make sure it's snug and tight and free from all kinks.

Have you looked at Check service status at the top of the page? You can also a run a test on your equipment from there. It may ask you to follow some self help tests and may even book a tech appointment.

You could also try the automated Service Status number  0800 561 0061.  This often gives details of more localised issues down to postcode level.

Whilst not ideal it's probably a better indicator of known problems and should also show the latest estimated date/time for the fault to be repaired.

If the above doesn't help fix the issue, or show any known faults and progress updates then call Faults 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, option 2 

When calling Faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi @webtronix

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with pixelation on your TV box. We can understand the frustration caused and want to best help. Have you tried the great advice given by @newapollo? Also, does this issue happen with both live TV and on-demand? When did this issue first begin?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes, I've checked all the cables, including the cable that feeds into the house to the box.

The issue has grown over time, but the annoying thing is that it does not affect all channels, only some channels.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@webtronix wrote:

The issue has grown over time, but the annoying thing is that it does not affect all channels, only some channels.

That's perfectly normal for a signal issue, which pixellation is usually caused by. Also I'm not sure what checks you can do on your incoming external cable beyond visually checking it - but I appreciate you were asked to.

The important thing to check is that VoD & streaming is not affected, only live TV. If OnDemand is affected, then either your signal isn't the cause or you have multiple faults.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses @webtronix

Were you able to check what @japitts has advised and are they also affected?

Let us know,

Kain

VoD seems to fine with no isses. Seems to affect live TV only, and as such if I record the Live channels, it also records the pixelations.

This proves that the pixelation is not due to HDMI connection between the box and the TV and more to do with the feed to the box.

is VoD fed from the signal cable or from the internet. I do have an Ethernet cable fed between my router (BT) and the TiVo box.

My other thought is if the fault in the outside cabinet

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@webtronix wrote:

If you have a TiVo rather than a V6, this Ethernet cable will be doing nothing at all. A TiVo has an inbuilt 'net connection fed down your co-ax and internally split out - the Ethernet port is for multiroom streaming only.

Not just that, but a V6 - which relies on Ethernet/WiFi for the internet - needs VM home broadband to work, a non-VM 'net connection won't cut it.

For the purposes of this thread/fault, VoD being OK proves this to be a TV signal fault.

So I guess then that the cable is fine if the VoD is fed down the same cable and with the fault identified as a signal fault, is that then an outside 'cabinet' related fault?

Thank you for confirming and trying all these steps for us @webtronix.

I think it would be best for us to arrange a replacement box for you, I'm going to pop you a PM now so we can arrange this. 

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.