cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIVO to TV 360 Free Upgrade

User247
Tuning in

I currently have a TIVO box and have received an email offering me a free upgrade to a TV 360 box. Is there a catch with this, putting the price of my service up at some point. Is it worth doing seeing as people seem to have issues with this box?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tavis75
Super solver

The 360 box is missing a lot of features compared to the TiVo\V6 box. 

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

I would definitely not change from a V6 to a 360, if changing from the original TiVo you do get the advantage of the extra tuners and generally faster operation, but personally I'd probably even stick to an original TiVo over the 360.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tavis75
Super solver

The 360 box is missing a lot of features compared to the TiVo\V6 box. 

Some of the missing features are as follows; Wishlists (where you can set the box to record programs on certain subjects or featuring certain people), undelete, series link+, series link manager, suggestions, setting of series links for programs not in the current TV guide, ethernet control, keyboard support via USB, switching between tuners with constant buffering, skip-back on fast-forward, quickplay, cancelling individual recordings from a series link, multi-channel series links, radio channels allowing recording of radio, separation of recordings between boxes, watching recordings when internet is not available and probably a few others I've forgotten.

I would definitely not change from a V6 to a 360, if changing from the original TiVo you do get the advantage of the extra tuners and generally faster operation, but personally I'd probably even stick to an original TiVo over the 360.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TiVo refers as much to the software platform as it does the legacy box - TiVo & V6 both run TiVo software, the TV360 runs Horizon software.

Both V6 & 360 use the same physical box but comparing the software is like comparing Apple to Android. Do your research before deciding, you can't change your mind later.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi User247 

It's a box regrade, not a package regrade so shouldn't alter the price you are paying, although the annual price rise is due in April 2024.

I updated two V6 boxes to the 360 format around 2 years ago and have had no issues with them (touchwood)

If you did decide to switch yuo would lose all of your recordings and series links, so it's best to make a note (screen shots is easiest) of your series links so you can replicate them. A lot of your recordings may still be available via On Demand or Catchup. On the 360 you can record 6 programs at once compared to 3 on the older Tivo, although as @Tavis75 says, you can't switch between tuners..

The 360 is faster than the older Tivo and has more apps available. The current apps are listed at the bottom of my message. I like the voice control feature and prefer the interface of the 360. 

There's a youtube video by a VM customer of the 360 in action < here >  although it's changed slightly since then as the video is 2 years old.

<<< this post >>>  details some of the differences and other user views of the 360.

The current list of apps on the 360 is:-  Al Jazeera, All 4, BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, Britbox, Deutsche Welle, Disney +, Fireplace, Fit at Home, France 24, ITVX,  My5, Netflix, Paramount+, Prime Video, Radio Line, STV Player, UK TV Play, Upgrade, VEVO, VM Store, WSJ, You Tube and You Tube Kids.

The Pluto app should be added in the near future <see here >  whilst this app is already available on the V6, the  extra channels won't be available on the Tivo or V6 boxes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just to add - the 6 tuners are also available on the V6 using TiVo firmware, that's not a TV360 thing. Series links and recordings will be lost with any box-swap.

Do your research into this before deciding either way.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

User247
Tuning in

Thank you all for your replies. I will do some research before deciding if I will upgrade