Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 52
Flag for a moderator

TIVO - catch-up service unwatchable

Like many others on this board for the past few months I've had persistent issues trying to watch catch-up TV on my Tivo.

Usually after 5 minutes I get the error code 602 to say sorry, this programme is unavailable to watch now.

Then the usual series of C130/C133/N27 error messages indicating that there is no network connection to the service even though the service runs through the VM dedicated cable to the TiVo and isn't reliant on my broadband supplied into another room.

I have to reboot the tivo at the wall sometimes, but every time I go to try catch-up the same issue happens.

I only use catch-up on the tivo for non-iplayer/channel 4 programming so have simply used the smart tv apps for those, but have no alternative for the paid channels I am unable to watch on catch up.

I've tried calling several times to record my issue and try and get a new box sent out (curiously my parents 5 miles away are having similar issues with their tivo and catch-up too) - I assume this is a problem with my box but seems odd that my parents in another area code but nearby are having the exact same problem plus pixelation issues on live tv with their TiVo.

Is there any way to get this looked at? Or a replacement TV box sent out to me if that is the only resolution?

Today's phone call left me on hold for 30 minutes which I was fully prepared to wait out, but when the call finally connected the other person cleared.

I don't get anywhere calling on evenings and it seems we're being directed to use the online help to get things resolved.

Would just appreciate some help in getting this matter resolved because if my TiVo box is on its way out it is going to die sooner rather than later...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO - catch-up service unwatchable

On the front-left of the box there's 3 green lights, the second from left has a heart symbol next to it and indicates the box "online" status. It should be on solidly, but I'll wager yours is flashing sometimes to indicate a dropped internet connection?

@NattyH18 wrote:

Would just appreciate some help in getting this matter resolved because if my TiVo box is on its way out it is going to die sooner rather than later...

You're probably right - I'd always recommend logging faults with VM (150 or 0345 4541111) as soon as the early warning signs are there - it always saves a loss of service later.

Do you have Virgin broadband at all? If you do, then I'd strongly recommend considering a swap to the V6 box. It's so much better at handling apps & streaming services as well as having 6 recording tuners.

If you've had your current package more than a year, then you might find a current bundle is cheaper and could include a box-swap into the bargain. Even if you haven't, there's no harm asking..

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Re: On demand not working on TiVo box

Hi

Just joined the community to read that you have had a very similar issue that we are having!

On demand (various providers) work for around 20 minutes if we're lucky, then the 'heart' light starts to flash and we are thrown out. It has sometimes gone back to solid green and we can go back in and resume however this is happening more and more frequently which is no good.

Done all the re-boots, checked connections etc but will not working robustly which it has for years.

Any guidance available please? Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the intermittent flashing green light is something I noticed while all this was going on.

I'll have to try them again tomorrow but as I don't have broadband coming into the lounge (it comes in via upstairs office at the back of the house so that my work PC gets the direct connection to the hub). I run a TP link power over Ethernet to my smart TV downstairs in the lounge, as although the WiFi has good coverage, it often dropped out on Prime/Netflix when streaming on my Samsung TV.

I don't really want to invest in an additional booster/another TP link just to connect a V6 box... and I'm not sure I would get much more benefit out of a V6 right now considering what I pay for the medium TV package - I tend to only record a few things and watch other stuff on catch-up, the rest is streaming.

Thanks for your advice though. Just wish there was a way of getting through and speaking to someone to lodge the issue and get the ball moving. Several attempts so far on the phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@NattyH18 wrote:

Yes, the intermittent flashing green light is something I noticed while all this was going on.

I don't really want to invest in an additional booster/another TP link just to connect a V6 box... and I'm not sure I would get much more benefit out of a V6 right now considering what I pay for the medium TV package - I tend to only record a few things and watch other stuff on catch-up, the rest is streaming.

Hopefully not to rub it in, but by means of an example... from clicking a "watch now" on an iPlayer programme in the TV Guide, it takes probably ~15 seconds for the V6 to load the iPlayer app and have the programme smoothly streaming.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just joined the community to see that NattyH18 has exactly the same issue as we do! Watching on demand and the programme freezes, the green 'heart' light flashes and we are out! Sometimes the green light comes back on solidly after ~5 minutes and we can go back in and resume however not really the point several times an evening.

We also have what now must be an old TiVo hardwired to the TV (older, non-smart) however this configuration has worked for years until the last few weeks.

Again, I have done the re-boots, connection checking and failed to get through on the phone. Help from VM required!

Nice to know its not just us however doesnt seem to help getting it fixed as yet unless you have good ideas!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Oh well, tried my luck on phone roulette again.

A 50 minute phone call to log the issue and be told that this is a known fault that is being worked on and should be fixed in 48 hours.

Insert sceptical expression.

If it's a known fault I don't know why it isn't coming up on the service status page, but saying that the service status page doesn't seem to be working either.

No option other than to give it until Friday and try catchup service again then and more than likely have to ring again to say it's not fixed. 😉

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 52
Flag for a moderator

@Grantoid - interested to know where you are to be having this same issue right now.

I'm in the Teesside area.

Virgin tech I spoke to confirmed my TiVo box is 5 years old. Think my mum and dad's one is about the same age.

I wonder if there's been some sort of firmware update that has caused havoc with boxes.

I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong if it wasn't for catch-up being unwatchable. Live Tv and recorded stuff is still working fine.

It's a bit too coincidental for so many TiVo boxes to be suddenly acting up like this for over a month...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Wow! Okay, guess that might be my next step too then. Look forward to that. Perhaps beer in hand required!

I hope they are right about the timeline.

Did you get the impression that it would be fixed for you or for everyone?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 52
Flag for a moderator

Lol ,both posting at the same time. I am in Herts so not a geography thing then.

Agreed on the timing. Too many to be coincidence I fear. Software update as culprit as likely as any other. 

Frankly I hope so as they can roll out a fix to everyone.

Also agree that 'live TV' etc is just fine and on demand/streaming is the issue.

Good luck!

0 Kudos