cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIVO box not working - need a replacement

ttptowers
Tuning in

My TIVO box has been slowly dying for a while and it's now finally stopped. It was taking up to 20-30 seconds to respond to selections, and is now completely dead.

It's the second box - I have a V6 as the main one. I've tried to call to arrange a replacement (customer for many years so I'm assuming this is possible), but the online/telephone service is appalling - constantly trying to direct you back online. 

Anyway, that's my issue. I don't need an engineer - I just need a replacement box sending and I'll hook it up myself. Given that I can't speak to anyone, either on the phone or the chat, is it possible to arrange via this method? 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Portery
Fibre optic

Sadly the only option you have to arrange a tech to come out you can use the online help or you would have to contact customer service to book a tech. The TiVo software is now obsolete they no longer do updates for that software it may be worth to see if there is an option for a free tv360 software upgrade where they would send out or new remote and on the day you migrate to tv360. Or as I mentioned above 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Portery
Fibre optic

Sadly the only option you have to arrange a tech to come out you can use the online help or you would have to contact customer service to book a tech. The TiVo software is now obsolete they no longer do updates for that software it may be worth to see if there is an option for a free tv360 software upgrade where they would send out or new remote and on the day you migrate to tv360. Or as I mentioned above 

Thanks. I'd have loved to talk through the options, but it's virtually impossible to get to speak to a human. Used the chatbot, which said I needed to use WhatsApp. Did so, at which point the reply was sorry we're too busy to accept messages for faults at the moment. Argh! Phoned 150, where the only option seemed to be to give my mobile so I could download the app (which I already have). Double argh!!

Had an issue on here a while ago, where a Virgin staff member actually replied and sorted me out, which was great. Still holding out hope they might, but in the meantime I'll keep trying to call them and see if I can get few to a human. Thanks again!

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Portery wrote:

The TiVo software is now obsolete they no longer do updates for that software

Is incorrect & inaccurate advice.

TiVo software remains fully supported, and a conversion to the (substantially different) TV360 is completely voluntary. In no way should you be forced to convert, unless you specifically want to.

@Portery  could be getting confused with the TiVo-boxes now being swapped out for V6, which run the same software on much better hardware.

All fault replacements are done by tech visit, for various reasons. When you call the 150 IVR, choose the "I have a fault" options and then press nothing else - just wait and ignore the "send me a link", "give me a callback" etc options. Or staff should respond on here, but that may take a couple of days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TiVo v6  software no longer gets update with the tivo software all updates now are with the tv360 software gets updated every 6 weeks any new apps  will only go on tv360 the TiVo software is obsolete the only boxes they can update is the v6 boxes to the tv360 paramount  and the Pluto app will only go on the tv360.  As I mentioned they TiVo software is obsolete you will see this year a great shift to the tv360

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I stand by my previous post and advice to the OP.

Yes, all new updates are only to TV360 and it's on a rapid development curve, but conversions to it remain wholly voluntary - TiVo software is very mature and in less need of development, and includes the Pluto app on V6.

To advise people that they need to convert because of a faulty TiVo is incorrect.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ttptowers 

Faulty Tivo's are no longer replaced. Instead they are swapped out to V6 boxes free of charge.

If you do as @japitts suggested and contact Faults they will arrange this for you.

Best to call around 8am whenh lines first open and are least busy.

After selecting faults you will hear the automated response asking you to press 1 for the link to online support etc

Ignore all the options and don't press any buttons then you should be placed into a queue and an agent should pick up the phone and book the tech for you.

If a customer wishes to switch to a 360 box then that's an entirely different process, it's classed as a regrade and there would be a fee of £24.99 and also possibly an installation or activation fee for the 360 box,  although this may be waived if the customer is upgrading to the Ultimate Volt package. It may also be waived as part of negotiations for a new package.

The 360 is completely different to the V6/Tivo and anyone thinking of switching to a 360 box would do well to read <<< this thread >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses ttptowers,

Welcome back to the community.

Just from checking our service I can see that an appointment has been booked in, let us know how the visit goes!

Take care,

Kain

Engineer called and replaced the TIVO box with a V6, as others had implied happens. Very happy with that, especially as he sorted it so that the boxes see each other, to watch stuff from one on the other (I had this working with the TIVO but it was hit and miss because I had issues with Homeplugs, and it was also verrrry slow).

So, all good. Thanks for all the advice and help

Hi @ttptowers,

Thanks for the update, we are glad to hear this 🙌

If you need help with anything else, please let us know. 

Have a lovely day!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs