cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIVO box keeps stuttering.

jonmc58
On our wavelength

We have  a TIVO box which has clearly seen better days. Yesterday it was impossible to watch the tennis as it seemed to suffer from buffering and occasionally locked. We tried to watch via  BBC Iplayer and that was even worse.

We sometimes get the same things happening on the main tv channels - not what I expected with  350mbs line service and a new router.

Could you do some checking on our connection and see what the problem is caused by?

Many thanks

Jon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @jonmc58 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your TV box.

We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help. You can check if you are out of contract in your my VM account If you are, you can discuss new package deals with our team as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/information-about-your-virgin-media-contract Are you able specify the issue you are having with your email? What is the exact error you are getting when trying to log in? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo has never been great for apps or streaming, your experience comes as no surprise. The TiVo has its own inbuilt internet connection and doesn't have WiFi, this is purely down to the TiVo being a very old box with old hardware - it was first launched in 2010, so is 13+ years old now. Live TV doesn't use the internet, so problems there will be a signal or box fault.

There's no proactive replacement programme for TiVo > V6, but when you're out of contract and negotiating a new package for 18month chunks, that's always a good time. You could take a couple of approaches here

1: If your TiVo has a service fault, it's now replaced with a V6 as a matter of course.

2: You could contact VM and request a box-swap, be fully prepared for a sales pitch on the TV360 system which is substantially different and is not TiVo. Think of Apple vs Android and you're on the right lines.

3: Whenever you are next out of contract, make sure you include a TiVo > V6 upgrade in the negotiations. Again, be prepared for a sales pitch on an "upgrade" to a TV360.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jonmc58
On our wavelength

Thank you for your very helpful information and suggestions for dealing with it. As far as I remember we got an email saying our contract was ending about 12 months ago but no one approached us to take out a new one so I reckon we are out of contract now.

Our future direction is likely to be determined by how successful the recovery of my historic email finally turns out to be. No news so far and despite all the helpful suggestions on the community none of these work for my combination of Win11 and Outlook.

I can get my emails on my android phone and tablet despite this, but no sign of historic emails there either and I hate typing on phones or tablets - large fingers..

Hi @jonmc58 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your TV box.

We can understand the inconvenience caused and we want to best help. You can check if you are out of contract in your my VM account If you are, you can discuss new package deals with our team as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/information-about-your-virgin-media-contract Are you able specify the issue you are having with your email? What is the exact error you are getting when trying to log in? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

jonmc58
On our wavelength

Hi Akua_A

Sorry to slow to respond but its taken a while for me to understand how our accounts work. 

I've set out below the various issues with our accounts:

Primary account [MOD EDIT: Personal details]. Unable to vies any emails by webmail.Used rarely.

Secondary accounts:

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] Needs an app password for Outlook 2019 as currently unable to access emails on pc but can read them on android phone & tablet. Also still waiting for all historic emails to be returned.

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] Working correctly with no changes - has all historic emails. No action needed

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] Working correctly with no changes - has all historic emails. No action needed

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] Unable to access emails via webmail. Waiting for historic emails to be returned.

[MOD EDIT: Personal details] Works and only ever accessed by webmail - does this need an app password?

Is there any chance that you can sort out the missing pieces for me?

best Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

In regards to your TV, I've had a look at things from our side, and it does look like the box needs replacing. I've popped you over a private message so I can take a closer look at this.

Alex_Rm

Thanks for joining me over private message Jon, 

A replacement box has been arranged, and will be delivered between 3-5 days.

Alex_Rm

jonmc58
On our wavelength

Hi Alex_RM,

The new box arrived this morning - that must be a VM record! Thanks for your efforts.

Any news on the app passwords front? It would be really helpful if someone could deal with it for me.

Best Regards

Jon