Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

TIVO Repair or Upgrade

My TIVO box is loosing channels and / or sound when turned on in the morning. After a reboot it appears to work OK. The box is old now and I wonder if I should upgrade to a V6 box? I already have an additional V6 box which works great.

Not much luck contacting Virgin and when I try to use upgrade function on the site I get an " Opps not available message"

Advice would be appreciated on

1. Should I upgrade
  2. If so how do I contact Virgin
  3. Is it something that I can self install

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO Repair or Upgrade

Hi Dansgramps,

I suggest you either phone or use the text messenger to speak to regrades, negotiate a new deal and ask for a free upgrade to a V6. If you aren't happy with the offer, or they don't offer a box upgrade then speak to retentions(thinking of leaving us)

The upgrades Oops something went wrong message, is generally because you either have a discount or the package you are on is no longer sold and requires extra manipulation by agents to change the package.

If phoning it's best to call first thing on a morning, 8am, as it's less busy then.  

If you don't want to be tied up on the phone then you could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of regrade  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. And is a little more frustrating than phoning.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO Repair or Upgrade

The choice whether to upgrade is entirely yours, but if you have VM broadband (for this is a requirement) I would strongly recommend it. The V6 is much newer, far quicker in general operation and has a few functional benefits. 6 recording tuners rather than 3, and much better at streaming apps together with having extra apps that the TiVo doesn't - such as Amazon Prime & the ITV, C4 & C5 branded ones.

The big thing is that whereas the TiVo has its internet connection (for Video OnDemand, streaming and TV guide updates) inbuilt, the V6 relies on your homehub so you need to connect to your VM broadband. Ideally this is by Ethernet cable, but WiFi can also work.

You can pursue a fault replacement option by caling 150 and following the "I have a fault" options, you can sometimes wangle a V6 upgrade this way but can only expect a like-for-like TiVo replacement. Others are more familiar with the self-install criteria, but assuming your signal levels are deemed to be within spec, I understand that Quick Start is normally the preferred method.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos